Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally posted this in another forum... so in case you missed it:

I have a set of Mavic Kysrium K10's. During my annual bike tuneup the mechanic found a crack in the rim of the rear wheel near a nipple. He says I should not ride on it, even though i probably have been riding on it for sometime. He contacted Mavic and they could send a new rim to repair the wheel. The cost would be about $350 (Parts and Labor). The downside he says is that Mavic is very slow and it could be a couple of weeks before it's ready.

My questions are the following:
  1. Has anyone had any experience repairing a cracked rim?
  2. Did you notice a change in the quality of the ride?
  3. Do you think it makes sense to repair the rim vs. investing in a new wheelset?

Thanks for the input

TLo.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I cracked my rear Zipp 404 Firecrest a few weeks ago. My cost to repair it through Zipp's crash replacement program was $600. That included a new rim and spokes laced to my old hub. The original wheel was only three months old. It took 10 days total.

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
The fact that Mavic is charging you anything is outrageous. You may as well cut your arm off and mail them that...

Your shop should call them back and have them cover the costs of parts and labor. These are costs you shouldn't have to incur.
Do you replace without any cost, any rim one of your customers break, for whatever reason or circumstances, and no questions asked ?

Great!

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Mavic Ksyrium rims often develop hairline cracks at the nipples because of the high strain the fewer spokes put on the rim which has been thinned to keep the weight low. This is what it is and that's the price you pay for the grams you save.

If you buy their MP3 insurance, Mavic will replace (not repair!!!) the rim within 2 years of the original purchase for the original buyer ( I don't think the MP3 is transferable although I'm not sure about that)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.