Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello... After listening to everybody, i really thought going to the LBS was my best option. After visiting a few, im not sure any of these people around here know what the are talking about. It seems most places only care about tattoos, and beach cruisers. One guy pretty much told me that. Anyway, i have found a bike on craigslist im thinking of purchasing. Its a very clean 1998 klein quantum II... is $500 for a bike that seems to fit well for me a good deal? Should i keep looking?

Klein Quantum II
Klein Blue
Shimano 600

Thanks,

wayne

·
Registered
656 Posts
Yeah, make sure it fits correctly before you take it though. See how long he'll let you ride for, and bring your pedals/shoes if you've got 'em. Keep in mind different manufacturers' bikes fit differently even if they are labeled the same size.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
craingslist advice

Kestreljr said:
Seems a little steep for a 10 yr. old bike. Although if it fits, maybe its a good deal.

I would say $350 would be a good deal. $400 would be a fair to a little high priced. Of course, all IMO...
I have been having the same problem with the 10 yr old thing... Being a first bike, id hate to spend more, but i also think, as long as i keep it clean and everything. I can get most of my money back in a year or 2. That, or as it seems most riders do, keep it and start a road bike collection/garage expo.

Thanks,
Wayne

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
chargerfan32 said:
I have been having the same problem with the 10 yr old thing... Being a first bike, id hate to spend more, but i also think, as long as i keep it clean and everything. I can get most of my money back in a year or 2. That, or as it seems most riders do, keep it and start a road bike collection/garage expo.

Thanks,
Wayne
I wouldn't sweat it- if the bike looks clean, and you are happy with it, then don't pass it up. There might be a little room for negotiation, but the bottom line is that is a great bike, with great components so you should be getting a very competitive, great bike.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I Passed...

Sewellymon said:
Did ya buy it?

I just bought a similar frame (Quantum Race), and built it up w/ mostly modern components.
17.5 lbs for a 57 cm frame.
I really did like the bike, but after some more research the bike was a 96 not a 98 or 99 like he said. It had 2 small dents on the top cross bar of the frame, and instead of working down in price it went up? go figure... It also had the pressed bearings, which a lot of people told me would be a deal breaker for them, since you couldnt upgrade to the 9 or 10 speed crankset. I found a near new Trek for the money i was looking to spend. I have been very happy with it. After a lot of research, I really did like what i read about the Kleins, and would love to build a bike up from the frame in the future. Do you have a picture to post?

Wayne

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.