Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning on the subway, the driver said, "You can get off at Park Place and walk to Chambers from there.......it's just a couple of blocks....
walk to Chambers, it's a short walk......" He kept repeating this as if he were about to suggests sites to see along the way........

FINALLY, he explained, "This train isn't stopping at Chambers St. due to police activity, I don't know why, get off at Park and walk, it's just a couple of blocks....."

I figured it had to do with this:

[video]http://nyti.ms/1nRVcgN[/video]

·
User is infamous around
2,738 Posts
Yeah, it was a bad one. Same company that had a crane fall last year too. 1 dead and 1 or 2 in critical condition. Reports of gas leaks and the crane hit other buildings on the way down, now their structural integrity is in question.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
Wow. It looked like it fell in the street. It looked like there was a strong wind which can add to the tipping load.

Thoughts and prayers to the families.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
Wow. It looked like it fell in the street. It looked like there was a strong wind which can add to the tipping load.

Thoughts and prayers to the families.
You have to admit, though, the shot at 0:54 in the video is the justice everyone wishes a BMW owner gets after they park like a jackass.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
When I saw the video, it looked exactly like the crane collapse we had at my work place in 2001 at Brooklyn College

A slightly smaller crane back then, but also fell while they were trying to secure it. Ours had a new operator that day and they were starting the process of dis-assembly. The operator tipped too far prior to lowering the upper section and it went out of balance. Big god-damned boom. Two people injured and the top missed a contractor by about 5 ft.

FWIW, cranes seem to fall in NYC on a regular basis, or am I imagining things ?.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Definitely not the first crane to fall, but the last big crane accident was a few years ago, IIRC. This is "electrocution by manhole cover" season.

As far as the poetic justice with the BMW- normally I'd agree, but the person who was killed was inside/getting out of his car at the time. The victim was a 38yr old Harvard grad, could be the type who'd drive a BMW......

But if he was in another car, then yes, I'm fine with either a BMW or an Audi getting the street-justice treatment :devil:

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
actually looks like the crane operator did a pretty good job of laying it down between the buildings.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I suspect that as they were securing due to high winds, they were planning on lowering it between the buildings.

What I saw in the video seemed to be exactly what happened at my work place, they tipped over too far. As it was explained to me at the time of our accident, this looked similar as one of those "bent in two" type cranes on a caterpillar type unit. The very top usually has 2 wheels. They go towards vertical with the lower mast, then bend and lower the upper section, then lean the lower section down till the upper wheels are on the ground. Then they can either leave it till the wind dies down, or f needed, can disassemble. I've also been watching these things get erected at the construction site on the Belt Parkway. Same company - Bay Cranes.

·
User is infamous around
2,738 Posts
Same company not much of a surprise. I mean how many crane companies are there?! From most reports I've seen, it wasn't negligence or anything like that, and the reason they were moving in the first place was to secure it for safety. Sometimes bad things happen just because.

·
User is infamous around
2,738 Posts
Those people don't live in the same world with the rest of us.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
I just looked at a video of it. It looked way out of control from the beginning, the vertical section was leaning way over towards the direction of lowering. Maybe they had it guyed off, you can't tell from the video. But if they didn't it is no wonder they wrecked, I don't think they know what they are doing.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Same company not much of a surprise. I mean how many crane companies are there?! From most reports I've seen, it wasn't negligence or anything like that, and the reason they were moving in the first place was to secure it for safety. Sometimes bad things happen just because.
From what I recall from our accident, it's very dependent on the skill of the crew and crane operator. In our accident, the crane was scheduled to be taken apart and trucked off-site the day it fell and they had all the assorted flat-bed trucks assembled in the vicinity. It then developed that a more experienced crane operator had called in sick and they opted to use a less qualified operator, who tipped too far with a result of a falling crane. The crane company was very, very lucky nobody was killed or seriously injured in our case. Sadly that was not the case this week.

·
User is infamous around
2,738 Posts
There's still plenty of details that have to be fleshed out yet. From what I've seen reported, there isn't any blatant or obvious wrongdoing.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
And your qualified to determine this how?
Because opinions are free. He didn't claim to be part of the investigative team, he clearly stated "from what I've seen reported". That's what he has to go on and that's what he used to form his opinion. I don't see the problem.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
OK, sorry.

There's still plenty of details that have to be fleshed out yet. From what I've seen reported, there is not information to determine if there hasn't been any blatant or obvious wrongdoing.

But I think something did go wrong.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
I just looked at a video of it. It looked way out of control from the beginning, the vertical section was leaning way over towards the direction of lowering. Maybe they had it guyed off, you can't tell from the video. But if they didn't it is no wonder they wrecked, I don't think they know what they are doing.
The upper section is known as a fly jib. It's designed purpose is to "lean way over" and is adjustable. There are cables that control that aspect of the crane. The crane should be self supporting without guying. Given that there was nothing on the hook (as you can see early in the video), the only forces acting on the crane were appear to be wind and gravity (presuming crane was stationary).

Cranes have load tables that govern what what loads and positions the crane can be in and still be stable. It is, however, up to a human to follow the table.

It would seem they could build electronic stability controls into cranes that would mechanically prevent them from going into unstable configurations. They do have alarms and such, but rely on the operator to correct.

(Qualifications: I own a computer with internet access...oh, and am a civil engineer with nearly 30 years in construction :) )

1 - 20 of 40 Posts