Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the effects/drawbacks of going from a 170 to 175 crank? No particular reason other than that i got a really good price on a crank upgrade from a friend. I don' t really see it being much of an issue when i hold the crankarms up to each other, esp as it is a touring/commuter bike. Obviously an inexperienced mechanice here. Thoughts?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
They should be a direct swap, assuming the brands are the same. If they're not, you'll probably need chain rings, too. You likely will notice little or no difference.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
basically swapped a 105 50-42-32 for a sugino xd 600 48-36-26 on my trek 520. the 105 was 170mm but the sugino is 175. do you think it will be much difference? i don't think so as my jamis nova was also a 55cm bike with 175mm xt crank. thoughts?

·
Does it matter?
760 Posts
brad nicholson said:
basically swapped a 105 50-42-32 for a sugino xd 600 48-36-26 on my trek 520. the 105 was 170mm but the sugino is 175. do you think it will be much difference? i don't think so as my jamis nova was also a 55cm bike with 175mm xt crank. thoughts?
you should probably lower your saddle by 5mm to help the transition to the longer crank (leg extension), and move the saddle forward 1-2 mm depending on seat angle (knee position). second thought, just move the saddle down 5mm first. then ride and see and feel from there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.