Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I know this has been hashed over many times in the past, but with little consensus. So, I have a question. For the last 13 (or more) years I've had 175mm crank arms on every bike I've owned. The bike I built in January has 172.5's. I couldn't pass up the deal I got on this crankset. Yesterday while climbing, I heard what I think was BB noise so, this morning, I grabbed my other bike with 175's. Although the ride was virtually flat, my hip flexors were on fire 30 miles out and I cut my ride off early. The 172.5 crank arms never felt different from the175's of the last several years, but today the 175's just plain hurt. What's up? :confused:

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
What's up?

You have developed psychosomatic mental problems. Unless you are 4' 2" tall, you should be on 175's....case closed.........No soup for you!

(there may be differences in the bike set up that caused your pain. No two bikes are ever the same. If you don't ride the old bike occasionally, you can have these problems)

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Grumpy, I never hold discussions with a monkey when the organ grinder is in the room, but in your case, I'll make an exception. I may even find an old dog for you to kick if I'm feeling generous. I had a vision of you final day on earth. You'll be turned inside out by transvestites and beaten to death with warm popsicles....in your yard. Until then, keep you kids off my property.

·
vexatious enigma
4,696 Posts
oily666 said:
Grumpy, I never hold discussions with a monkey when the organ grinder is in the room, but in your case, I'll make an exception. I may even find an old dog for you to kick if I'm feeling generous. I had a vision of you final day on earth. You'll be turned inside out by transvestites and beaten to death with warm popsicles....in your yard. Until then, keep you kids off my property.
Oh my.

·
Registered
494 Posts
The return of short cranks has solved my knee probs. I was on 175s forever, then busted my knee in a pickup basketball game, had knee surgery, could never get over the tendinitis in the knee when putting pressure on the pedals. Switched to 155 cranks, yes 155 custom made. Holy cow! I am spinning up the hills at a nice, faster RPM tempo. And no more knee problems. When I switch back to my other bike with 175 cranks, I feel the pain. I think that short cranks could really revolutionize hill climbing in the same way Indurain led the long-crank theory in the flat time-trials.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
Unless you are 4' 2" tall, you should be on 175's....case closed.........No soup for you!
But, but, I'm much taller than that and use 172.5s.

Besides, Levi does too!

:D

·
Registered
21,639 Posts
Public confession

rook said:
The return of short cranks has solved my knee probs. I was on 175s forever, then busted my knee in a pickup basketball game, had knee surgery, could never get over the tendinitis in the knee when putting pressure on the pedals. Switched to 155 cranks, yes 155 custom made. Holy cow! I am spinning up the hills at a nice, faster RPM tempo. And no more knee problems. When I switch back to my other bike with 175 cranks, I feel the pain. I think that short cranks could really revolutionize hill climbing in the same way Indurain led the long-crank theory in the flat time-trials.
As for me, I would never admit to having a short crank :)

·
Registered
494 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
As for me, I would never admit to having a short crank :)

I don't understand what the big deal with having a short crank is all about. I mean, I get leverage when I need it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.