Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys/gals,

I currenly ride a 172.5 crank arm on 57/58 frame size. Thinking about going to 175 crank arm.

My mountian bike cranks feel good to me, and i think that size would work well on the road.

Too large,

What do you think?

Thanks,

Ken R.

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I think the change would be fine. It's only 2.5mm longer, and I doubt if you'll be able to tell the diff. 170-175 maybe, but not 2.5mm.

· Registered
38 Posts
kroettger1 said:
Hi guys/gals,

I currenly ride a 172.5 crank arm on 57/58 frame size. Thinking about going to 175 crank arm.

My mountian bike cranks feel good to me, and i think that size would work well on the road.

Too large,

What do you think?

Thanks,

Ken R.
How tall are you ? What's your inseam? I'm six foot and have a 33" inseam and ride 175mm on a Giant TCR ML = 58cm CTC. Online fitting systems are all over the place, some say to measure your femur bone for the best fit for cranks.

I have put 2000 miles on the bike and the only time I have noticed anything remotely negative with the crank length is when I did a century though the mountains with 53/39 and 12-23. I noticed it was harder to spin, but then again, that was an extreme situation. I think with a 12-25 I would have been fine. I think you can crank out more watts with the 175, might hurt you a bit if you like to spin instead of mash and it might hurt your cornering a hair.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.