Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recieved an e-mail from Fuji last week about a recall for the FSA Compact crank that was on my bike. I posted the e-mail in this forum, and someone told me that they over tightened something on several models of cranks causing something to crack (serial numbers starting with 10A,10B, 10C, and some others I think). Correct me if I am wrong about this.

I didn't think of this at the time, but I noticed some clicking and what felt like skipping on my last ride before I got the e-mail. So I took it out yesterday up and down the road to see if I was imagining something. Well I wasn't. On flats it clicks, but if I sprint or go up a hill, it feels like something is skipping, like and extremely bad shift, but I'm not shifting.

That may be a bad discription of what it feels like is going on, but could this be because of something being over-tightened in the crank and cracking something? If so, what do you think will be done about the recall? Will they send me a new crank or what? If you think it doesn't have to do with the recall, any clue what is going on?

Thank you for any and all information on this,
Nick

·
Registered
447 Posts
My understanding is that the left crankarm fastener may have been tourqed too high upon initial assembly which could cause the crankarm to break. I would not ride the bike until it is fixed. The crankarm could separate from the spindle causing you to crash. I think I read that they are going to replace the effected parts with new. You will likely have to take it to an authorized dealer for the service.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
The recall is on FSA Gossamer BB30 cranks. The left crank arm (non-drive side) could have been over tightened. The crank arms involved have a serial number that starts with 10B,10C,and 10D.

What happens with this recall, the crank arm breaks around the retaining bolt and the crank arm falls off the bike.

What you need to do is check the serial number as per the recall notice and if it falls within the recall guidelines, DO NOT RIDE THE BIKE. Take it into your LBS or call FSA regarding what the fix is.

They are supposed to be releasing a fix for this ASAP.

If your crank arm does not fall into the recall guidelines, then you have another issue. If the bike is fairly new, you probably have normal cable adjustments that need to be made.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could the skipping or whatever it is have something to do with the recall (my crank does fall under the recall), or do you think it is a different issue.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
Its probably a different issue. If the crank was skipping, the arm would be in a different position than the normal 180 degrees opposite of the drive side crank arm..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts