Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am useing Crank Bros egg beaters on both mountain and road bike, so I can use one pair of shoes, but I think I want to put a pedal on my road bike that has a little more platform. I am leaning towards the Candy because they are cheaper than the Quattro SL. But the Quattro SL looks nice and I can get them on Ebay for around $95 shipped.

Opinions please.....

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm in the same situation but have actually already Quattro SL's for my Roubaix, the Candy's have a smaller platform so they are more suited towards mountain bike riding where you need better maneuverability for bunny hopping and what not where the Quattro's have a bigger platform, which is more suited for road cycling as you want stability and comfort above all.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I've only used the Eggbeaters and Quattros, both with carbon road shoes. Either one will work great, but I've found that the Quattros somewhat easier to get into and have a bit more solid of a feel. I use the eggbeaters for cross, and although I can totally stomp into them with the mtn shoes they are tougher to engage for some reason with road shoes. I'm really liking my new Quattros.

·
Registered
813 Posts
i did a good deal of commuting on my cyclocross bike that had the candy's on it and never had an issue with hotspots etc on the bottom of my shoes/feet. Im sure the Quattros would be nice too, though, same idea.

jeremy

·
Registered
339 Posts
I just got my Quattro SL (davitamon-lotto team edition) pedals and a pair of Specialized Pro Carbon MTB shoes, using the cleats and the shims that come with the eggbeaters the Quattro pedals seem great, same click-in/click-out behavior of the eggbeaters but with a stable platform that really helps with the comfort and actually seemed to improve my pedal strokes a little.

I'm yet to go on a long ride though so I'll see how the hold up then.

Note: One of the reviews I was reading about the shim didn't understand that the shim goes between the shoe and the cleat, it isn't supposed to go on the bottom of the cleat, it is supposed to raise (well lower actually) the cleat from the sole of the shoe so there is more clearance to click in.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just got mine too. Set them up the same way on a pair od Sidi MTB shoes. Can't wait to try them out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts