Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
aka Zoo
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried the Crank Bros Directset headset? Thinking about putting one on my cross bike. They any good? I know they're headsets are pretty new but they look pretty solid.

·
Polka Power
1,348 Posts
I hate the o-ring setups. But honestly, it will probably work with no issue on a road bike. A stiff or long MTB fork, not so much. Can move enough to cause creeks, wearing of spacers, etc....depending on setup. Even if no issue, it just makes sense to me to have the more solid connection of the wedge/ring.

·
Polka Power
1,348 Posts
DRLski said:
wow, good info, so is this a common problem with chris king headsets?
It can be. All King Threadless sets use an O-ring to hold the top of the steerer tube. Really depends on setup, type of use, and condition of the o-ring if it will be an issue or not. Stiffer or longer fork setups, shorter head tubes, and rougher conditions make it more noticeable. Probably won't hear many, if any, issues from normal road bike use.

For example of the two King headsets in the house, one is on a carbon fork road bike and feels fine. The other is on a rigid for 29er SS MTB and it constantly feels loose and creeks even though it has the nylon scuff washer (actually washers, I've tried a bunch of things to make it work). It is awaiting replacement with one of the new Cane Creek 110 headsets, whenever they manage to get the silver ones available.

From what I understand, this design is a patent work around as Cane Creek owns the patent on using a compression ring.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
ChuckUni said:
Really depends on setup, type of use, and condition of the o-ring if it will be an issue or not. Stiffer or longer fork setups, shorter head tubes, and rougher conditions make it more noticeable.
I think it is more random than that. The complaints aren't limited to that type of use, and many people have no problem at all with King headsets on their rigid, SS, 29ers. I had one frame, fork and King headset that exhibited this behavior, though it was a 26" frame with a decent length HT. I did some set-up juggling and ran the same frame with a different King headset and two different rigid forks and never had a problem again. No problem with Kings on our CX bikes -- even the one with a very short HT and a ton of spacers.

Meanwhile, I put a Cane Creek S8 on my Karate Monkey -- constant creaking and incurable play. :mad2:

·
Polka Power
1,348 Posts
Maybe. Steerer tube diameter can effect it, which I didn't mention. Also the condition of that o-ring and top cap. Even still, on my 29er, the top cap and oring are very tight and it still has issues. Oh well.

Does the S8 have shims for use with the compression ring, if need be, for undersized steerers? Have a CC 110 here that had noise issues with the original install. Put the shim in and now it seems fine, but it's still too new to say for sure.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
I would suspect the steerer tube as well, but the odd thing is that the one fork that I had trouble with had a steerer that bordered on being over-spec.

The S8 didn't come with shims. I've have an S1 on a bike that has never been a problem on a rigid MTB.

:shrugs:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.