Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm currently riding Dura Ace SPD-R pedals, but fancy a change, preferably to something with a double sided platform.
The Crank Bros Quattro has caught my eye, and I would like some feedback from people who have used them.
Thanks in advance.

· Registered
284 Posts
I've been using them for over a year now and am very pleased. Very easy in and out, no unexpected unclippings. They were my first clipless pedals and may be my last. I also like that you can use either MTB or road shoes with the adapter. I've read some feedback here questioning their reliability, but mine have been great.

· Old enough to know better
720 Posts
I ride egg beaters on my road bike and love them. I picked the regular eggs over the Quattros because I didnt like that stupid plastic thing that orbits the pedal body. With that plastic body you take a four sided pedal and turn it into a 2 sided. I have no complaints with my eggs, very easy to maintain. The float is not adjustable on the pedals however its like a straight 5-6% I think so if you need alot of float you may be looking in the wrong direction. Good luck and happy shopping.

· Registered
3,245 Posts
I have 2 pair. Love them. One pair is 2 years old and the other pair is a used pair that I bought from MTBR classifieds. That pair broke but CB fixed them no questions asked. They are so easy to get in and out of, give you a platform to go on before you even have to worry about clipping in, and you can use road or mtb shoes. Do a search on Quattro in the forums, you'll find lot's of info.

· Registered
16 Posts
Quattro's are Great!

I got a pair of Quattro's with my new Cannondale Six 13 Pro 2. I had never used them before so I didn't know what to expect.

After using them for about a month I would say this:

(1) They take a few tries to get used to them so be patient and practice indoors with your bike before going out on a ride.

(2) Once I got used to them I LOVE THEM. They are easy to get in and out of compared to other pedal systems and they look cool.

(3) The cleats are easy to walk on because the cleat is surrounded by a horseshoe shaped elevated platform.

(4) The platform in fact doubles as a stabilizer and in fact rests on rails on both sides of the eggbeater clip in device.

Overall, I am very happy with my choice. Just be sure you have the balls of your feet over the pedal spindle (assuming you have regular sized and not giant's feet).

If your feet need a lot of toe in or out, you may have to go with another cleat found on the eggbeater pedals. As it is the Quattro cleats, only allow a minimum toe in or toe out. Luckily I don't need a lot so the Quattro cleats work for me.

Once you try Quatttro's you'll never go back to others.

Good luck

· Registered
128 Posts
Ditto on the comments above: They work great.

I'm less happy with the cleats, though. I have the 3-hole version, and had to whittle away more cleat hole to get the right amount of toe-in for me. The Q-factor is also a bit wider than my old Looks, and there isn't much lateral adjustability in the cleat design, unlike Look or Shimano cleats. Again, knife to the rescue. If your shoes can accept the two-bolt cleats, they may be a better option if you need lots of toe-in/toe-out or narrow Q-factor.

· Registered
238 Posts
not good if you need wedges

i have eggbeaters on my mtn bikes... when i got into road biking, i used them too but more so than mtn biking, with the greater repetitive motion of pedaling, i noticed knee pain and finally figured out i had a leg length discrepancy. wedges dont' work as well with the small spd-like cleats for egg beaters. engagement isn't crisp.... no problems with non-shim'd side.
john

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.