Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
On a different mission...
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I come from the MTB forums, and the pedals are awesome for off road. I am thinking about them on my first, new road bike. I cannot seem to stomach the price of the Speedplay pedals just quite yet. Would the eggbeaters perform on the road as well? TIA.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Get Candys or Quattros and use the same shoes you have now.

·
Failboat Captian
6,527 Posts
I have Candies on all my bikes (road, MTB, SS commuter). they work great. Regular EBs would work just fine if you like 'em.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I use Eggbeaters on both my bikes (road and cross) and they work just fine. No issues for me at all except for the seldom hotspot.

·
Registered
151 Posts
If you are gonna get road specfic shoes I would go quattro, if not then get the candys, eventually you will appreciate the small platform of either.

I personally have found I really like having road specfic shoes just because they stay clean.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
the platform of the candy or quattro never touches the shoe...if you're used to eggbeater, go w/ them. kodak/sierra nevada was using crank bros when i worked for them, and bjm used the egg beats a lot 'cuz they were light...he was used to them from cx.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
The advantage to having the platform on Candys or Quattros is that you don't have to worry about being clipped in to start off. I start with one foot clipped and the other just rest on the platform until I'm up to speed. Most of the time the other clip has fallen into place by the time I'm halfway across an intersection.

·
Failboat Captian
6,527 Posts
I like the MTB shoes with the Candy's because I like to be able to walk like a human. I don't think I understand the "clean" remark. MTB shoes can handle a lot more dirt than road shoes or more dirt than they'll ever see when road riding. Maybe you mean the clean look of not having treads?

Be careful with that with EB brass cleats. You'll grind them down to nothing in a hurry if you are walking on them.

·
Registered
151 Posts
JohnnyTooBad said:
I like the MTB shoes with the Candy's because I like to be able to walk like a human. I don't think I understand the "clean" remark. MTB shoes can handle a lot more dirt than road shoes or more dirt than they'll ever see when road riding. Maybe you mean the clean look of not having treads?

Be careful with that with EB brass cleats. You'll grind them down to nothing in a hurry if you are walking on them.

I like having a pair of shoes that get muddy and I dont have to worry about cleaning often, my mtb shoes. Would not want to go mtbing one day then hop on the road bike the next with shoes covered in mud, guess slightly lazy. Nothing wrong with using mtb shoes for road riding, just the way I looked at if i am going to have a pair of raod specfic shoes why not road shoes.

Also the plastic thing around the quattro cleat keeps the brass from grinding down early.

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
I used eggbeaters for a couple of years on my road bike (I too came from mountain biking). Clearly the best pedal for mountain biking.

They work great for shorter rides but will give you serious hot spots on long road rides. They tend to wear grooves in the carbon soles of road shoes

·
Registered
154 Posts
:cool: +1,000,000 for the candies...red ones on my red SingleSpeed !!!

Plus, no need for cleat covers on my bicycling shoes....I use mtb shoes, so the cleats are protected by the soles of the shoes themselves....:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I use Eggbeaters, or some version (Candy etc) on all my bikes (road, mountain, cross) except for the couple that have platform pedals (again Crank Bros btw). They work great. No issues for me at all ever.

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
I have both pedal systems mentioned by the OP. One pair of Speedplays stay on my Axiom but the other pair I transfer among my other road bikes. My EggBeaters, a 2Ti and a C, bounce around the 29ers (2), and the spare Ti road bike.

For me it's more of an issue to have shoes that fit. I honestly can't tell what pedal is holding the shoes on a 3 hour road ride. I understand what the guys are saying about "hot spots" on their feet. By trying different shoes, or rather by finding shoes that fit better I was able to eliminate hot spots. In the 1989 I switched to Time Magnesiums. When I ran Sidis I had a hot spot along the outside of my foot. When I bought a pair of Time shoes that hot spot went away... until about 6 years passed. As soon as I bought a new pair of shoes the hot spot went away again.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I have MTB and road versions of the same shoe (sidi dominator 6 and genius 6.6), the MTB ones are mated to time atacs (set to highest tension) and the road shoes, speedplay zeroes. No hotspots and power transfer is the same, in fact i can't tell the difference when going hard. Choose carefully and you won't have to worry about hotspots.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I used them for a couple thousand miles on my road bike after coming over from mountain biking. They hurt my feet because of the small platform. If you want to use your own pedals +1 to the guy that said go with candys or smartys. If you want new shoes or cleat than id go with look keo classics. Reasonable price, great platform, easy clip in/out, reasonabl weight, reliable, good looking.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I went with the Quattros and they are a world of difference from the Keo Classics I had. Double sided just rocks for urban use with all the stops one needs to make. The Keo's in particular had a slick uneven glossy surface on the other side which made it impossible to pedal unless you were on the correct side.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
I like my Quattros well enough.. Have Eggs on all my bikes in one form or another. Just love the light action and easy entry. My left pedal is a little funky on my road bike right now so I want to get new cleats.

CB stuff rocks.. Don't really have much reason to try other stuff otherwise.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts