Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2015 Chorus group on my CAAD10 and would like to experiment on different crank lengths without breaking the bank. I've heard other brand cranks can be made to work well with Campy, but I've ever attempted it myself.

Was thinking of trying this.
https://www.merlincycles.com/fulcrum-r-torq-r-carbon-road-chainset-94670.html

Can anyone here share their expertise? Would this work?

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Firstly, Campy owns Fulcrum, so yes you'll be OK.

Secondly, and luckily for us, cranks and chains are one of the harder things to make special and proprietary. I have used Shimano, FSA and TruVativ cranks with no problems with otherwise Campy drivetrains. As well as at least 6 different chain brands.

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
I've been using a Quarq powermeter crankset (based on SRAM S900 crank) for last 3 yrs and works fine, BUT ...

Some chain rings are definitely worse shifting than Campy Chorus. The SRAM 10sp rings are inferior. Stronglight & WickWerx are comparable to Campy.

But as noted by bikerjulio, Fulcrum = rebranded Campy, so no problems.

A caution & IMO: you won't notice much, if any, difference between 170, 172.5, and 175 mm crank arm length. After a few miles riding, at most, you've "adapted"

Riders who regularly alternate between track bikes at velodromes and regular road bikes, know that track bike cranks are commonly 5-10 mm shorter, and it rarely poses any issues.

many lab studies on trained cyclists have shown power output is same even with extreme length differences, eg 160 - 180 mm.

comes down to personal preference.

one real benefit of shorter cranks is if you race criteriums, you'll get increased ground clearance when pedaling thru corners.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts