Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after my Paul comp crank busted I bought a Sugino messenger. It started to creak, like my pre-paul crank and I brought it again to my mechanic. He checked everything out and found nothing wrong. He tightened the crank and sent me on my way saying that this is the case with these cranks.

In the past I had brought the bike to a second mechanic who could find nothing wrong. I replaced the pedals and the sounds just kept creaking.

The crank continued to increase and would only quiet down when I was out in the rain. It was worse in high pressure and seemed to affect both sides of the crank, but more in the right.

So one night, the whole freakin thing started to slip--not in the slack in the chainline kind of way, I rode very cautiously and took a good look---

Every one of the chainring bolts had come lose. I suppose that can happen over time my mechanic never checked. I went to a new shop, had them replace the bolts and tighten the whole thing--and I haven't had a peep out of the thing since. Doh!!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Saddley no. As a long time mechanic I wish the government would see it as more of a trade since we are fixing a mode of transportation, and to some degree talking somone's life into our hands. There are many school and prorams that off basic and some advanced knowedge, and you get a certificate at the end showing your completion. If you were to look up the regestrations of these things you would find that most applicants arent already established wrenches or "junior mechanics" as I call my gaggle at the shop. Most mechanics couldnt afford to pay for thoese schools regardless!

As far as your mechanics screw up, 90% of the time it isnt the chainring bolts so I can see why he over looked them, at the same time a loose chainring makes a pretty unique sound when its in the work stand so I dont know how he would miss it. Were all human, we all make mistakes.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have a set of Sugino track cranks with a Vuelta chainring and I get a noisy squeak out of them as well. I didn't know that was characteristic of Sugino cranks and I checked the bolts, nice and tight.

I'm going to switch to a 1/8" drivetrain ASAP and see if that helps. If it doesn't I'll be swapping out those cranks as soon as possible and swearing off Sugino forever.

·
Bike Dude
993 Posts
All good words and opinions. My best tip for wrenching is to use removable Loc-Tite on all small threaded bolts and little screws such as derailleur limit screws and the really small screws that are used on the front derailleur. If you use a bike with the little rear drop-out screws (can't remember the proper name) you will want to use full strength Loc-Tite on the ends of the screws to keep them from disappearing. Never use any Loc-Tite or similar adhesive on "nylock" nuts, bottom bracket bolts or the bottom bracket cups if they are plastic. I find teflon tape works really well on these cups whether they are plastic or metal. I totally agree with jamiesshankland, here we are doing our part not to use fossil fuels yet the Gov dosen't want to help or provide tax incentives.

·
Registered
14 Posts
fixed the creak, thank you all.

i had a creaking crank. square taper, campy veloce, brand new, in my serotta ti. only part that wasn't up to snuff, and the loudest about it. i read a lot of forums and comments last night, and i read the whole jobst brandt article about it, and i followed mr. brandt. i greased the hell out of the spindles and re-installed the crank arms. one major hint that fixed my problem: someone noted that the proper torque required to fully fit the arms as far on the spindle as they need to be will not easily be achieved with an everyday multitool. THANK YOU! so very true. i dug around in my toolbox and found the requisite allen key. stuck the bolts in and torqued the hell out of them, using the crank arm as leverage. this worked perfectly, and i haven't heard a single sound out of the bike all day. clean spindle and crank arms, grease both, install spindle bolt, torque a LOT, done. thanks everyone for your tips.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Some guy with an S-works had a 'creaky crank' that he couldn't figure out. He kept bringing it in to our shop like, 'Oh it's still noisy, woe is me,' and all this. Turns out, it was his seat that was creaking.
Facepalm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.