Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a novice wrench, but am willing to give everything a try. In this case I was installing a new Shimano 9-speed drivetrain - Cranks, chain and cassette. The chain and cassette were new and the cranks were used (ebay purchase) but in much better condition than the cranks on my bike.

I installed everything, the cassette and the chain were good, but the crank was not aligned with the front derailleur. I couldn'r figure it out, so I brought to my LBS. They said that I just hadn't torqued down the crank enough, it needed another half-turn. Besides that everything looked fine.

This morning I went for a ride and while clipping in the non-drive crank swung free. I put it up on the stand tightened it and tried again, and again it swung free. I removed it, it looks like the teeth sheared. So after all of this here is my question.

When I installed the crank, I left the ring bolt in place, positioned the crank on the bottom bracket and tightened it using a crank wrench. Should I have removed the ring bolt first positioned the crank and then inserted the ring bolt?

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,916 Posts
yes

sounds like now you get to go shopping for a new left crank arm, which sucks...but should be pretty easy to find. you are definitely not the first to have this happen. you can install the arm w/o removing the bolt, but it's much safer to do it while being able to visually confirm the arm is on correctly rather than doing it by feel and 'hoping' it's on right.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.