Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am making the transition over from MTB to road and I am not sure what to think about crank length. My mountain bikes all have 175s as well.
I am typically an out of seat climber. I'm 5'8" with short stubby legs for someone who tops out at 140lb. I am wondering if I should just keep it consistent at 175 or think about something a little shorter? One other consideration is that my knees are not what they used to be. Thanks a ton.

js.

·
Pack Fodder.
1,871 Posts
Opinions vary. Google "road bike crank length" and you'll get all sorts of opinions, calculators, and charts. You're not the only one that's not sure.

A couple things to keep in mind is leverage on the knees/hips and your ability to maintain a flat back when on the drops. Finding that balance between power and sustainable form is a personal thing, but a good starting place is the stock cranks your bike comes with. They're usually based on frame size, which gets you roughly sized up based on inseam. Ride it for a few weeks before considering any changes, unless you have unusual pains or other negative effects.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
The right length

olapequena said:
I am making the transition over from MTB to road and I am not sure what to think about crank length. My mountain bikes all have 175s as well.
I am typically an out of seat climber. I'm 5'8" with short stubby legs for someone who tops out at 140lb. I am wondering if I should just keep it consistent at 175 or think about something a little shorter? One other consideration is that my knees are not what they used to be. Thanks a ton.
There is no data or research that consistently supports any given method of determining the "correct" crank length. It's personal preference, and given the uncertainty of the data, that preference is probably determined by placebo effect.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts