Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I posted before that I was having a ticking sound from my crank area. Well, finally took the Bike the the LBS. Guy test raod the bike and said he thinks it's my crank. Said that he wants to take it apart and re-greese everything.

Is this common? Wait,, I have a new bike (one season) old. Trek 1600, 105 crank. On the crank its says, "do not take apart" or something like that. Is this crank meant to be serviced? Also, how much will this likely cost me?

Thanks-

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
There is nothing wrong with servicing the crank. I should be done now & then. It may be something is slightly loose making the ticking. Ticks can be hard to chase down. Let them do it. Better yet. Buy tools, a repair book and learn to do it yourself.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Some info.

The "Do Not Disassemble" warning printed on your external bearing cups (aka "bottom bracket" or "adaptor") refers to the fact that you shouldn't press or hammer the pressed-in bearings out of those cups for service or replacement.

What the bike shop most likely will (or should) do is to remove the crank and the bearing cups, grease all contact points/threads lightly and put it all together again. Clicks or creaks coming from the bearing cups/frame interface and the crank/spindle interface are common and should disappear after such a re-installation. If they're still there, most likely they came from somewhere else on the bike.

As said, this is an easy do-it-yourself job. But you need some tools, and read the Shimano service instruction sheet for your crank at least once.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
Muaythaibike said:
ok, thanks..
How about cost???
the tool and grease would cost under $20 combined.

edit-- it just occured to me you meant how much the bike shop should charge. i have no idea. maybe $25 or so. just a guess. depends on their hourly rate or if it's a fixed rate item. shouldn't take them long to do either.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Muaythaibike said:
ok, thanks..
How about cost???
No idea on that. For what it's worth, I'm old and slow and it takes me about 45 minutes to do that job, including cleaning everything within an inch of its life before re-install, plus answering the phone once or twice. :)

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
I just pulled my cranks and BB this past weekend and cleaned them up and re-greased them. I think my BB is slowly getting bad..

·
Registered
832 Posts
I'd learn to do the job(s) myself - which I already do. But I had my bike-tools stolen last year, and I needed my vintage PUCH A-D frame cleaned/overhauled. As I awaited new tools to arrive...

I took it to my LBS, where I had bought a new bicycle from a few weeks earlier and they did know me, and asked them to overhaul my headset, bot-bracket, and hubset. Vintage Campagnolo from 1983. The same year I had Sheldon Brown order this frame/fork on special order from Puch A-D in Austria. It's close to unique. Well, the LBS said they wanted $190 - up front - for the job. Okay, I paid them. But I felt weird. And...

The LBS called me a few days later to say the PUCH was all set. So I made my way downtown. They had cleaned the frame, and wrapped my handlebars in hideous, spongy yellow glop - with the ever-present gob of electrical-tape. At least, I thought, it was overhauled. Right? Well...

On my ride home, their was a feeling of looseness in the front hub. I still had some cone-wrenches, so I opened the hub. There was the no-longer-made pink Bullshot grease I used to use! They hadn't touched the front-hub. I opened the rear-hub. Same thing. My new tools arrived the day after. I was seething. I opened the Campy Nuovo-Record bottom-bracket: Pink. I opened the headset: Pink. Those crooks washed the frame and vandalized the handlebars - to the tune of $190.

Now I have my tools. No more will I set foot in that shop! So if you want the work done and be sure it's right - learn to do it yourself. It's not difficult. The tools can be costly, but they'll pay for themselves in short-order. And you'll feel your own handiwork as you fly down the roads & trails.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
wim said:
No idea on that. For what it's worth, I'm old and slow and it takes me about 45 minutes to do that job, including cleaning everything within an inch of its life before re-install, plus answering the phone once or twice. :)
does that include finding the phone?

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
does that include finding the phone?
You talking about those new wireless pocket phones like they have in Star Trek? Mine's hanging on the wall, no problem finding it. :D

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
wim said:
You talking about those new wireless pocket phones like they have in Star Trek? Mine's hanging on the wall, no problem finding it. :D
I have a couple of phones in my garage, the "tweating" is hard to hear if the grinder, shop vac, table saw, lathe or planer is on.......whereas they are wireless, they live in a base station BUT they get buried pretty quick!

·
Registered
119 Posts
what types of tools does a person need to do regular mant on our bikes I'm looking in buying some but not to sure in what to buy ?

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
frank418 said:
what types of tools does a person need to do regular mant on our bikes I'm looking in buying some but not to sure in what to buy ?
i'd consider buying a tool kit. park has several. when they are on sale, they are pretty reasonable.

hex wrenchs, cable cutters, cassette tool, chain whip, chain tool, bottom brack tool for your type bottom bracket, crank puller if you need it, grease and lube should take care of most issues you'll ever have.

edit--pedal wrench too.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Muaythaibike said:
Hey All,

I posted before that I was having a ticking sound from my crank area. Well, finally took the Bike the the LBS. Guy test raod the bike and said he thinks it's my crank. Said that he wants to take it apart and re-greese everything.

Is this common? Wait,, I have a new bike (one season) old. Trek 1600, 105 crank. On the crank its says, "do not take apart" or something like that. Is this crank meant to be serviced? Also, how much will this likely cost me?

Thanks-
I had the same exact problem on my new Trek... made me absolutely crazy, I brought it in to me LBS and told them about it, they looked it over and said something wasnt completely tight, causing the clicking noise. All better now! they did it for free also. HTH

·
Probably slower than you.
232 Posts
This may be a stupid post, but bear with me...

Just in case, did you check that the end of the cable that is coming out of the front derailleur is not hitting the crank arm when you pedal? Also, check to see that the derailleur cage itself is not hitting the crank.

Dumb issues, I know, but easy to overlook and common problems and it only takes 2 seconds to check. They are also both very cheap to fix (free).

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Muaythaibike said:
How often in general does the crank need to be lubed?
There's no "lubing" the crank like you would a chain. From your original post, I gather you're just chasing down a noise, and the hope is that putting a bit of grease on all the metal-to-metal contact points before reassembly will make the noise go away.

Having said that, some people do pull everything apart on their bike at least once a year, then clean and reassemble everything. It keep things functioning nicely and quietly and prevents seized and corroded connections. Others just replace components as they wear out. I'm somewhere in the middle of these two extremes.

Sorry for the vague answer, but all this depends on how much your time is worth, how much you're willing to spend on maintenance, and how often you ride in the rain. :)

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Muaythaibike said:
I just worry that they wont find the source of the ticking.. It honestly affects my joy of riding....
Understand that completely. It took me a long time to get over that—now at 66 years old, I finally don't care anymore about ticks, groans and squeaks. Of course, I can't hear half of them any more either, LOL :D

·
100% torqued
766 Posts
Ticking can be hard to isolate. The BB is a good place to start though. Often the threads have barely any lube on them from the factory. They are tight but the forces of your legs can get them creaking after a while. Check your stem bolts for grease too. That creak often shows up when standing and pulling on the bars. Some times a loose spoke will creak/rub on the spoke it crosses if you have traditional wheels. I have had grit get between cog spacers and cogs and crunch like heck, just needed a cleaning. Cleats and pedal interfaces can creak. Pedal bearings too. Dirt can do some funny stuff. Don't let it drive you nuts just find a guy to ride with on occasion who never cleans anything, Your bike will seem silent. Kind of like fixing the rattle in your car by cranking up the radio.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts