Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· I do not like titles
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently on an FSA Gossamer Triple 53/39/30 crankset. Shimano 10 speed in the rear, with Ultegra deraileurs front and rear.

Have not been using the 53 ring very often because the only combinations that I can pedal are 2 or three from the largest in the back, and I know crossing the chain is bad. Wondering if a 50 tooth ring would allow me to use more gear combinations.

According to the FSA website they make a 50/39/30 crankset. Do I have to upgrade the whole set, or can I just buy one ring?

I searched eBay for "FSA 50" and only found compact cranksets and single 50 tooth rings. Some of the auctions write that the 50 tooth can not be used with a Shimano 10 speed chain/drivetrain. Does anyone know why? If I did find a 50 ring that works, would I have to lower my front deraileur clamp position or would it stay about the same?

Would really like to read some thoughts on these questions. I am not very mechanically inclined but interested to learn more.

Thanks,

- Bruzer

· Registered
934 Posts
You can get a 50-tooth outer ring from FSA but it won't gain you anything. All the gears you are using now overlap in ratio with the gears on the middle chainring. The same will be true with a 50; you may be able to use one more combination on the large ring, but it will be a near-duplicate of one of the combinations on the middle ring.

· I do not like titles
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. I see your point. It doesn't feel like I am using the large chain ring at all. I didn't take overlapping ratios into consideration.

Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.