Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While on a ride with a friend recently we started talking about components. I mentioned to him that my SRAM rival group had about 13K miles and that I had only replaced the chain. My buddy laughed and said he had replaced his crank/cassettes 3 times during that same time period.

I asked him why and he told me because of the type of riding that he does (same riding I do) and that once the teeth became like "shark fins" it was time to replace them. I asked him if beyond that, there was some other side effect (poor shifting, dropping chains, etc) to which he had no definitive answer.

So I turn to you all for your opinion on this matter. Is it time for me to replace my crank/cassette even if I am not experiencing any ill side effects?

·
Registered
20,737 Posts
So I turn to you all for your opinion on this matter. Is it time for me to replace my crank/cassette even if I am not experiencing any ill side effects?
Replace the entire crank? Or the chainrings?

If you replace your chains before they're too far worn, there's no reason you can't go 10-20k miles on your cassette. Well over that for chainrings.
Does your buddy never replace his chain? That would explain why he's getting shark teeth.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

If you replace your chains before they're too far worn, there's no reason you can't go 10-20k miles on your cassette. Well over that for chainrings.
Does your buddy never replace his chain? That would explain why he's getting shark teeth.
I assume he meant chain rings but he also said I should replace my BB as they are not that expensive.

I didn't ask him about his chain replacement interval so I can't say.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,933 Posts
I've seen alumin(i)um cranks break from fretting and ground or even shoe / cleat strikes, and early carbon Campy cranks had the spindles work loose, but I full anticipate my current Campy carbon cranks that I have to last forever. I have yet to replace rings on any of them for wear, I guess I just don't ride enough to rack up 20k miles on one bike.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure about him being clueless but his comment seemed excessive.

Talking to another friend today and he changes chain rings & cassettes once a a year, but he races and puts a lot more miles on his bike than I do. His only comment on chainring wear is that the chain will have a tendency to drop, during a sprint for example.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
I'm not sure about him being clueless but his comment seemed excessive.

Talking to another friend today and he changes chain rings & cassettes once a a year, but he races and puts a lot more miles on his bike than I do. His only comment on chainring wear is that the chain will have a tendency to drop, during a sprint for example.
People who advocate changing chain rings at 13K miles without any explanation or facts tend to be clueless (on that topic anyway).

Chain ring mileage depends on several factors including the conditions you ride under, how well you maintain your drivetrain, how frequently you change chains, and the quality of the components used. I regularly get over 60K miles out of Campy chain rings. I've had Campy BBs last over 115K miles (not worn out but now my roller bike).

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,955 Posts

In fairness, it can be no more expensive to buy a whole new crank than replacing both chainrings...certainly easier sourcing parts.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
In fairness, it can be no more expensive to buy a whole new crank than replacing both chainrings...certainly easier sourcing parts.
Depends on the brand model of course. Most people put a lot more miles on one chain ring than the other so replacing both rings is seldom required simultaneously.

And back to the OP's question, if you put equal miles on your large and small rings and needed to replace both at 13K miles, that means your rings are only lasting 6500 miles. That is either pathetic or unbelievable.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll rest easy and keep what I have for now until I start noticing "issues" with my drive train. Up to this point I've noticed none.

·
Registered
20,737 Posts
Maybe on some lower end cranks. A Dura Ace crank on sale is ~$350. You can get a set of rings for $160.
An Ultegra crank is about $160 on sale. You can get a set of rings for $125.
A SRAM Red crank is ~$350 on sale. Set of rings are $160.
A SRAM Force crank is ~$229. Set of rings is $130.
And of course the Cannondale SiSL2 SpideRing Crankset is ~$900. Set of rings are ~$200.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,955 Posts
Maybe on some lower end cranks. A Dura Ace crank on sale is ~$350. You can get a set of rings for $160.
An Ultegra crank is about $160 on sale. You can get a set of rings for $125.
A SRAM Red crank is ~$350 on sale. Set of rings are $160.
A SRAM Force crank is ~$229. Set of rings is $130.
And of course the Cannondale SiSL2 SpideRing Crankset is ~$900. Set of rings are ~$200.
A campag Chorus 11s 2015 set of rings (4-arm design universal 144BCD ) will run you $160+$80USD on Amazon. And outside of 1 listing on Amazon they're not listed online anywhere, even EU websites and vendors....if you can find them.

Buy locally and add in taxes you're probably looking at $300 in scratch due to QBP monopoly "taxes".

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
The bike shop must love your friend. He's clueless.
Yeah, seriously. SRAM cranks come with "shark fins" out of the factory. It's their glide-something technology. When I first started out I too thought the same thing, I looked at my teeth and said "whoa! how did I destroy this chain ring in such a short amount of time". I actually had another clueless buddy suggest I replace it because of shark teeth. I guess I'm assuming your buddy rides SRAM as well, but he is getting hosed every 4K miles or so. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts