Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a noob type question, but what does this mean?? If I'm pushing the bike the crank rotates forward. If I pick up the rear wheel and rotate the crank to get the wheel spinning then stop the crank, it then "grabs" and starts going rotating, kinda like the old Schwinn Stingrays...:mad2:

· Registered
10,161 Posts
???

The Flash said:
Did you just change the cassette? If so, you need another spacer behind it. This causes the same kind of friction that C-40 described....
Please explain how a missing spacer causes friction. The cassette is resting on the outer portion of the casette body and has no effect on the interior workings. At worst, the cogs would just be loose without the spacer.

· Registered
1,175 Posts
C-40 said:
Please explain how a missing spacer causes friction. The cassette is resting on the outer portion of the casette body and has no effect on the interior workings. At worst, the cogs would just be loose without the spacer.
This can happen with 10spd cassettes on hubs that do not have the "step" on the cassette body to space the cassette away from the hub flange. American Classic hubs are an example of this where the tolerance is very close. My Powertap hub is the opposite in which there is such a pronounced step(4mm maybe?) that you would probably never need a spacer with it.

IME, cranking down a 10spd cassette can get it close to drag on the cassette body, so when the wheel rotates forward, it pushes the chain and the crank rotates....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.