Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I have been researching cranks for a few days. I ordered a Surly Steamroller and I have everything, except the cranks and BB. I would really like to get a Sugino 75 and the likes, but for this project to go under the radar with the commander aka wife, I don't think I can spend $200 on the cranks.

What I'm wondering is, which ones should I get? I have read good and bad about the Sugino RD/RD2's, which go for a little under $100. I also read about Soma Hellyer's, which seem okay. Also, someone said Andel's were also good. Lastly, I was also thinking of getting some Ultegra cranks.

Now, all of the above cranks are pretty much the same price. I personally don't care about style points, aesthetics, etc. (Okay, I do care some about how it looks and don't want something hideous, but most of the cranks above are good-enough-looking). Which is the better choice for durability and performance? The frame is supposed to get here by Thursday, so I'd like to have a crank ready to go so I can get my ride in this weekend!

Thanks for any input.

Cliffs: Which crank for best performance? Sugino RD/RD2, Soma Hellyer, Andel, or Ultegra?

EDIT: Also, I swear I saw some Ultegra cranks somewhere for ~$79 or so, but can't find the site. Found some HERE , but I saw them somewhere else, too. Anyone know?

EDIT II: Okay, so per that site in the first edit, it looks like the cranks shipped would be $66. Anyone ever deal with icyclesusa.com?

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
palu said:
Ok, I have been researching cranks for a few days. I ordered a Surly Steamroller and I have everything, except the cranks and BB. I would really like to get a Sugino 75 and the likes, but for this project to go under the radar with the commander aka wife, I don't think I can spend $200 on the cranks.

What I'm wondering is, which ones should I get? I have read good and bad about the Sugino RD/RD2's, which go for a little under $100. I also read about Soma Hellyer's, which seem okay. Also, someone said Andel's were also good. Lastly, I was also thinking of getting some Ultegra cranks.

Now, all of the above cranks are pretty much the same price. I personally don't care about style points, aesthetics, etc. (Okay, I do care some about how it looks and don't want something hideous, but most of the cranks above are good-enough-looking). Which is the better choice for durability and performance? The frame is supposed to get here by Thursday, so I'd like to have a crank ready to go so I can get my ride in this weekend!

Thanks for any input.

Cliffs: Which crank for best performance? Sugino RD/RD2, Soma Hellyer, Andel, or Ultegra?

EDIT: Also, I swear I saw some Ultegra cranks somewhere for ~$79 or so, but can't find the site. Found some HERE , but I saw them somewhere else, too. Anyone know?

EDIT II: Okay, so per that site in the first edit, it looks like the cranks shipped would be $66. Anyone ever deal with icyclesusa.com?
I've dealt with icycles many times....I've never had a problem

As for cranks, there is nothing wrong with any of the cranksets you mentioned..

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
palu said:
I saw them somewhere else, too. Anyone know ?
Perhaps here: http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_195814_-1_200294_200276_200376

There are no more Octalink Ultegra bottom brackets, only 105 and Dura-Ace.

Keep in mind that you might have to use the inside position of a double crankset for your single chainwheel to get the proper chainline. Mechanically, that's not a problem. But it would leave the outer, unused chainring ramps on the spider showing, which doesn't look all that hot in my view.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Dave. So no adv/disadv. with any of them? If not, maybe the Ultegras would be the cheapest route. I've already got a 48t chainring, 130mm.

Wim - yes, you're right, it wouldn't look the best. So which would you get?

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
icycles- know exactly what you are buying and don't expect answers to questions

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
palu said:
Thanks, Dave. So no adv/disadv. with any of them? If not, maybe the Ultegras would be the cheapest route. I've already got a 48t chainring, 130mm.

Wim - yes, you're right, it wouldn't look the best. So which would you get?
All depends on your sense of esthetics. And luck: your chainline may just be spot-on with your 48T on the outside position of the Ultegra crank. To answer your question: I was always a cheap-skate, so looks didn't matter as long as it worked. But if I had to build my fixed over again right now, I'd get a crankset made for fixed/single-speed.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
For what it's worth, I'd stay away from any Octalink or Isis crank. It's getting to where the "obsolete" square taper is more readily available in more spindle lengths, and cheaper.

Token, Sugino, J&B (rebranded Token) are decent pieces, and even Shimano is shipping UN 54's with an alloy non-drive side cup as opposed to the crap plastic one that's been around for years.

The Sugino RD2 (also sold as RD48 and the same arms/spider as the "Messenger") is a nice crank. Good finish, and with a 103mm spindle (even a 107 that I'm using) the chairing is on the outside. Have one on the Raleigh commuter and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks, guys. Really appreciate the feedback. I went ahead and ordered the Sugino RD2/RD48 crankset. ~$90 shipped. Can't wait to put this bike together.

Ok, forgot to ask, I also ordered the Sugino BB. Which tool do I need for that? (link or part # please?) Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.