Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some recommendations. I’ve got a 2015 Specialized Tarmac I bought used and wanted to change the chainrings to 36/52 but found out it would cost as much as a new crankset, right now I’ve got a FSA SL-K light ABS 34/50 and wanted a recommendation on a new crank set without changing the bottom bracket, I’ve got a BB386/30 bottom bracket and I would like to stick with FSA brand and wanted a 36/52 .

·
Banned
1,921 Posts
Forgive me, but perhaps you have received little feedback because your post is ambiguous. You answer your own question.
Ebay your current crank and purchase the identical replacement only with 52/36 and of course it will fit your BB.

Lastly, the change you want to implement is a small tweak in performance aka little value added. A more nominal change is from a full size crank to a compact but you want to go from compact to mid size. Many times a slight tweak in the cassette will accomplish the same end. Very few amateurs will benefit from larger than 50/34 in front with prudent choice of cassette in back.
50/11 unless living in the mountains is all the gear most amateurs need FWIW and a 50t chainring is sweet because its short enough to stay on for riding rollers in an aggressive group ride or hard acceleration out of corners...anything without steep climbing.

·
Registered
985 Posts
How much is it just for the 52/36 rings? Usually it is cheaper to get new rings than a whole crankset and there should be no reason you couldn't put a 52/36 on a bcd 110 crankset that currently runs 50/34.

·
Crank Addict
1,943 Posts
Forgive me, but perhaps you have received little feedback because your post is ambiguous. You answer your own question.
Ebay your current crank and purchase the identical replacement only with 52/36 and of course it will fit your BB.

Lastly, the change you want to implement is a small tweak in performance aka little value added. A more nominal change is from a full size crank to a compact but you want to go from compact to mid size. Many times a slight tweak in the cassette will accomplish the same end. Very few amateurs will benefit from larger than 50/34 in front with prudent choice of cassette in back.
50/11 unless living in the mountains is all the gear most amateurs need FWIW and a 50t chainring is sweet because its short enough to stay on for riding rollers in an aggressive group ride or hard acceleration out of corners...anything without steep climbing.
I pretty much agree entirely... You shouldn't need to replace the BB, to change crankset, unless you're choosing a crankset that uses a different bottom bracket standard like Shimano or something.

How much is it just for the 52/36 rings? Usually it is cheaper to get new rings than a whole crankset and there should be no reason you couldn't put a 52/36 on a bcd 110 crankset that currently runs 50/34.
I don't think the FSA 52-36 uses 110bcd... I think only the compact does. Isn't Shimano the only crankset that uses 110bcd for all rings?

·
Registered
985 Posts
I pretty much agree entirely... You shouldn't need to replace the BB, to change crankset, unless you're choosing a crankset that uses a different bottom bracket standard like Shimano or something.

I don't think the FSA 52-36 uses 110bcd... I think only the compact does. Isn't Shimano the only crankset that uses 110bcd for all rings?
The FSA crank that came on my venge with 52/36 rings was 110 bcd. When I upgraded to the sworks cranks I kept using the same rings. Right now I'm running a 52/34 (just swapped the small ring) 110 bcd. It is usually only when you jump up to 53/39 that the bcd goes up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts