Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for cranks for a fixed project bike I've been slowly collecting parts for over the past twelve months.

Its a track frame with 120mm rear spacing, and will either run a Campag Record Track hub that came with the frame, or maybe a new flip flop fixed/free ... still deciding.

I want to use 170mm cranks, same as my geared bike.

Where I am unsure, is if I can buy ultegra double 9 speed cranks and use them or not? I want the bike to look classic, functional .... and not complete junk, so if I'm running them, I'd like the chain ring to fit onto the cranks nicely.

What is the smallest chain ring I can get for cranks like ultegra doubles?

I have seen new campag record track cranks for 150 pounds, or miche ones for 100, and a second hand (new looking) set of dura-ace for 100 pounds. Are there any other options I should look for?

What I am worried about, is getting some cranks and not being able to sort out the chain line without taking away from the simplicity/purity of the bike.

Could some people please post pictures of their cranks and describe what setup they used?

Thanks.

-Chris

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
Read and get to know this page on chainline. If you were to use a road crank you will have to mount the chainring on the inside of the spider and get some single stack chainring bolts. This may however put the chainring into contact with the chainstays.

I think the better option is to try to use a true track crank with the appropriate bottom bracket. I'd recommend the Miche because the bottom bracket cup on the drive side isn't fixed so you can micro-adjust the chainline to be pretty close to perfect... and the crank/bb/chainring combo is usually inexpensive compared to Campy or Shimano.
As far as other options, you don't list your location but check around for Stronglight, they make an affordable track crank as well.

Here is a photo of my cranks from this post. They're Sugino 75s... might be a little harder to find and more expensive than the Miches or Stronglights but awesome cranks and still a little less expensive than Campy or Shimano.

You really can't go wrong if you get the matching bottom bracket for whichever crank you choose as the spindle width is usually matched to give you optimum chainline on a track frame with a track hub.

·
I CAME I SAW I CONQUERED
181 Posts
I agree with asterisk

asterisk said:
Read and get to know this page on chainline. If you were to use a road crank you will have to mount the chainring on the inside of the spider and get some single stack chainring bolts. This may however put the chainring into contact with the chainstays.

I think the better option is to try to use a true track crank with the appropriate bottom bracket. I'd recommend the Miche because the bottom bracket cup on the drive side isn't fixed so you can micro-adjust the chainline to be pretty close to perfect... and the crank/bb/chainring combo is usually inexpensive compared to Campy or Shimano.
As far as other options, you don't list your location but check around for Stronglight, they make an affordable track crank as well.

Here is a photo of my cranks from this post. They're Sugino 75s... might be a little harder to find and more expensive than the Miches or Stronglights but awesome cranks and still a little less expensive than Campy or Shimano.

You really can't go wrong if you get the matching bottom bracket for whichever crank you choose as the spindle width is usually matched to give you optimum chainline on a track frame with a track hub.

Use the track cranks and bb on your track bike...It's as simple as that.

Good Day - Veni Vidi Vici

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I will check back at the shop that had some dura-ace track cranks sitting round second hand, but I think they've probably gone.

One more question, in general, do many of the track crank manufacturers use the same rings? I don't want to end up buying some cranks that its hard to find a ring for (or expensive to find a ring for). I will get the smallest ring I can with the cranks, but may still want to go smaller, depending on where I live in a few years time.

Thanks.

·
I CAME I SAW I CONQUERED
181 Posts
I have a 48 on one crank and a 49 on the other....

StillKeen said:
Thanks, I will check back at the shop that had some dura-ace track cranks sitting round second hand, but I think they've probably gone.

One more question, in general, do many of the track crank manufacturers use the same rings? I don't want to end up buying some cranks that its hard to find a ring for (or expensive to find a ring for). I will get the smallest ring I can with the cranks, but may still want to go smaller, depending on where I live in a few years time.

and a 16,18,20,and 21 cogs.

Good Day - Veni Vidi Vici

1 - 7 of 7 Posts