Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 felt 58cm z85. The stock crankset is a FSA VERO Compact, 3-PC, Forged Aluminum, 50/34T; 175mm with FSA 68mm w/ Forged Chromoly Square Taper 110.5mm Spindle bottom bracket.
I would like to swap it out for a Shimano 105 Crankset & Bottom Bracket 175mm arms 50/34 chainrings. My question is ......is this doable? Would it be a direct swap? Would it be a worthwhile upgrade? Thanks.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
jeebuss1 said:
I have a 2010 felt 58cm z85. The stock crankset is a FSA VERO Compact, 3-PC, Forged Aluminum, 50/34T; 175mm with FSA 68mm w/ Forged Chromoly Square Taper 110.5mm Spindle bottom bracket.
I would like to swap it out for a Shimano 105 Crankset & Bottom Bracket 175mm arms 50/34 chainrings. My question is ......is this doable? Would it be a direct swap? Would it be a worthwhile upgrade? Thanks.
As long as you replace both the crankset and BB (BB-5600 or similar) it'll work fine.

IMO it's a worthwhile upgrade.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
jeebuss1 said:
Another ? Looks like I will need a bottom bracket tool to do this myself or would I be better letting my LBS do it? Oh and he just got back with me, They are english threads.
To remove the old bottom bracket, you'll need a special tool which you might never use again. To install the new BB, you'll need two special tools (cup wrench and and cheap pre-load adjusting tool). Ideally, you should also have a torque wrench for tightening the left crank bolts, but many people just use their sense of mechanical appropriateness.

I'd say if you see a lot more wrenching in your future, by all means get the tools and learn how to install the crank. If you only grab a tool in response to a mechanical emergency, let the LBS handle it and watch.

Typical installation instructions at the link:
http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/t...603/SI_1GE0C_001_En_v1_m56577569830646763.pdf

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
I agree with wim that it makes little sense to buy a tool you'll only use once to remove the present BB, but for about $20 you can get an all in one type tool for installing/ removing the Shimano crankset/ BB you're getting. It's what I use and it works perfectly fine:
http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=25&item=BBT-9

If you don't already have them, you'll also need some grease and an allen wrench (I forget the size), but if you plan on doing any wrenching (and even if you don't) IMO you should have the basic tools.

If it were me, I'd have a LBS remove the old crankset/ BB and then I'd install the new, because in the process you learn about the parts on the bike. Installation is a pretty straight forward process and there's this forum and tech docs to help guide you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.