Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'd like to change my double crankset 53/39, for a compact 50/34. Can i just do a straight swap or do my shifters or anything else need changing aswell?

Much obliged

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
waddy73 said:
Hey guys,

I'd like to change my double crankset 53/39, for a compact 50/34. Can i just do a straight swap or do my shifters or anything else need changing aswell?

Much obliged
If you're using Shimano, you can switch to a Shimano brand compact crank and not need a new front derailleur. Otherwise, you need a compact specific derailleur. Shifters are fine

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
?

estone2 said:
If you're using Shimano, you can switch to a Shimano brand compact crank and not need a new front derailleur. Otherwise, you need a compact specific derailleur. Shifters are fine
I never heard of a "compact specific derailleur." Derailleurs for triples sometimes have a longer cage to accomodate the big difference between the large and small rings; maybe that's what was referred to.

You need to be able to adjust the position of the derailleur, which can be a little tricky if it's on a braze-on fitting, but is usually doable. Front derailleurs don't differ much, except for the triple issue.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
JCavilia said:
I never heard of a "compact specific derailleur." Derailleurs for triples sometimes have a longer cage to accomodate the big difference between the large and small rings; maybe that's what was referred to.

You need to be able to adjust the position of the derailleur, which can be a little tricky if it's on a braze-on fitting, but is usually doable. Front derailleurs don't differ much, except for the triple issue.

actually they do (did) make front ders specific for compact cranks... fsa has/had one, and even campy did too, until the recent redesign (one front der for normal and compact cranks)

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts
FatTireFred said:
actually they do (did) make front ders specific for compact cranks... fsa has/had one, and even campy did too, until the recent redesign (one front der for normal and compact cranks)

Waste of money. I run the same front derailleur with my Campy compact as I did with the 53-39. It's just at the bottom of the braze-on now. Shifting is beautiful in both directions and it's never chucked the chain. If you're using a clamp on model, all the better.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I just did this for SRAM Rival on my bike, and had no problem. I think the pulling from small to large chainring is wonky feeling and tough... and I think there is more cross chaining than with a 52/39, but I guess I'll have to play around and see if this can be tweaked.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
waddy73 said:
Hey guys,

Much obliged
Parts will be fine. You will need a bit of wrenching - the front derailer will want to move down a tiny bit, and you might want to take a link or two out of the chain - or not.

·
Registered
607 Posts
What he said.

danl1 said:
Parts will be fine. You will need a bit of wrenching - the front derailer will want to move down a tiny bit, and you might want to take a link or two out of the chain - or not.
What he said.

Now Get On It!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts