Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked up a new (to me) CX bike over the weekend. Noticed the crankset clicks a little bit - something I hadn't noticed on my test ride. It has an FSA Gossamer compact and looks like internal bottom bracket (no big metal rings outside the bottom bracket area of the frame. I'm guessing this would be a BB30? EDIT: inspected bike this evening. It is not BB30, but actually Mega Exo.

The funny thing is that my wife's previous bike (Rocky Mountain Oxygen 50) had the road version of the compact FSA Gossamer and it also clicked, which was the only thing we didn't like about the bike. I checked for play in the crank arms and bolt tension, but found that was ok.

Advice/opinions re. my new bike? This is a Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro (Rival equipped), probably 2010 or 2011. Thx.

·
Registered
23,031 Posts
First, are you absolutely positively 100% sure it's the crank clicking? Clicks and creaks can migrate throughout the bike and sound like they're from somewhere they're not.

If sure it's the crank, take the whole crank apart. Every ring, every bolt, pedals, BB. Clean everything completely, then assemble it making sure to put grease between every place where metal touches metal. And grease every thread, inside and outside of chainring bolts. Reassembly and properly tighten everything.

What year is the bike? The Gossamer uses several BB types. BB386EVO, BB30, MegaExo.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First, are you absolutely positively 100% sure it's the crank clicking? Clicks and creaks can migrate throughout the bike and sound like they're from somewhere they're not.

If sure it's the crank, take the whole crank apart. Every ring, every bolt, pedals, BB. Clean everything completely, then assemble it making sure to put grease between every place where metal touches metal. And grease every thread, inside and outside of chainring bolts. Reassembly and properly tighten everything.

What year is the bike? The Gossamer uses several BB types. BB386EVO, BB30, MegaExo.
Thanks for the quick response. I'm not really sure what BB it is. Is there an easy way to tell without pulling the crank arms? I haven't looked closely at it. Just some internet searching and lots of reports of BB30's clicking. Many of those posts recommend the weaker loctite (green) on the bearing shells.

·
Registered
23,031 Posts
Thanks for the quick response. I'm not really sure what BB it is. Is there an easy way to tell without pulling the crank arms? I haven't looked closely at it.
Look up your year, make and model in BikePedia. It might have the BB listed.

FAQ: CRANKSETS: BB30 vs. MEGAEXO - FULL SPEED AHEAD COMPONENTS
FSA BB30 vs BB386EVO – A Visual Comparison & Weights

Just some internet searching and lots of reports of BB30's clicking. Many of those posts recommend the weaker loctite (green) on the bearing shells.
I think every BB ever created yields internet searches reporting creaking.

I had creaking in my BB30. No amount of grease would stop it for more than a ride or two. After using green loctite, several thousand miles later... not a peep.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had creaking in my BB30. No amount of grease would stop it for more than a ride or two. After using green loctite, several thousand miles later... not a peep.
Did you need to pull and reinstall the bearings, or did you just run the green loctite around the outside of the bearing by the shell? Thanks again.

·
Registered
23,031 Posts
Did you need to pull and reinstall the bearings, or did you just run the green loctite around the outside of the bearing by the shell? Thanks again.
You have to pull the bearings. The loctite won't get where it needs to go otherwise. Plus there could already be grease on the bearings which would prevent the loctite from working.

The bearings and BB need to be cleaned and degreased before applying loctite.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have to pull the bearings. The loctite won't get where it needs to go otherwise. Plus there could already be grease on the bearings which would prevent the loctite from working.

The bearings and BB need to be cleaned and degreased before applying loctite.
That's what I thought. I'll take a better look at the BB and see what it is, maybe pull the crank arms and buy a BB tool as necessary. Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.