Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Everyone,
I've got a Cannondale CAAD8 with the original BB30 bottom bracket that's starting to do a fair amount of creaking. I'm planning to replace the BB and was also considering upgrading the crankset while I'm at it. My first choice would be to go with a new 105 7000 series crankset but I want to be sure that would be compatible with the other 105 5800 series parts I've got on the bike already. I've studied the Shimano compatibility charts and it seems like they don't recommend mixing 5800 derailleurs with 7000 series cranksets, but maybe I'm reading that wrong. Is there something about the spacing between the chainrings that's different on 5800 and 7000? Is there something else I'm not thinking of that would make 5800 and 7000 not like each other? Will I screw things up if I mix a 7000 crankset with my 5800 derailleur, shifters, chain, and cassette? I'm hoping the answers are "no".
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I've seen that kinda chart before... though not with the new 12 speed Dura Ace components... pretty cool.

I guess I'm just wondering why a new 11 speed 105 crankset won't work with an older 11 speed 105 derailleur and/or chain... My guess is that it's the spacing between the chainrings, but I'm curious to know more.

·
Registered
21,621 Posts
Hey Everyone,
I've got a Cannondale CAAD8 with the original BB30 bottom bracket that's starting to do a fair amount of creaking. I'm planning to replace the BB and was also considering upgrading the crankset while I'm at it. My first choice would be to go with a new 105 7000 series crankset but I want to be sure that would be compatible with the other 105 5800 series parts I've got on the bike already. I've studied the Shimano compatibility charts and it seems like they don't recommend mixing 5800 derailleurs with 7000 series cranksets, but maybe I'm reading that wrong. Is there something about the spacing between the chainrings that's different on 5800 and 7000? Is there something else I'm not thinking of that would make 5800 and 7000 not like each other? Will I screw things up if I mix a 7000 crankset with my 5800 derailleur, shifters, chain, and cassette? I'm hoping the answers are "no".
Thanks for your help.
It could be that you just need to grease some threads and other interfaces. If the BB turns smoothly with light pressure, then it doesn't need replacing.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
The compatibility charts indicates you can use the FC-R7000 crankset IF you have the FD-5801 clamp band derailleur, but NOT the FD-5800 braze on derailleur. Why the difference? I have no idea.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The compatibility charts indicates you can use the FC-R7000 crankset IF you have the FD-5801 clamp band derailleur, but NOT the FD-5800 braze on derailleur. Why the difference? I have no idea.
I saw that. From what I've read, the FD-5801 was pretty much an early release/version of the FD-7000

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a compatibility issue/question? LOOK KG 361 FRAME > FSA SLK Crankset w/ an "attached" BB Spindle? BB30 is printed on crank- but the spindle is way 2 short FOR ANY BB SHELL WHAT THE HELL? Ask me 4 deets THX

1 - 7 of 7 Posts