Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay here's the thing. i have a 2001 moots cyclocross frame. the 2010 super record campy cranks won't work on this frame. the rivets where the chain sprocket goes slightly rubs against the chain stay. so i need to find a crankset that has the rivets of the sprockets to be a little smaller in diameter so the rivets can clear the chainstay. i was just wondering if anyone had any dimensions on their cranks and what brand model it is. i prefer the higher end components to match the frame. thanks.

· Militant commuter
943 Posts
Do you have the proper BB spindle length? I suppose you could also find one a litle longer to give more clearance to the chainstay, but that might affect chainline a bit -- probably not too much of an issue.

· Registered
21,868 Posts
Drive side spacer

burntmushu said:
okay here's the thing. i have a 2001 moots cyclocross frame. the 2010 super record campy cranks won't work on this frame. the rivets where the chain sprocket goes slightly rubs against the chain stay. so i need to find a crankset that has the rivets of the sprockets to be a little smaller in diameter so the rivets can clear the chainstay. i was just wondering if anyone had any dimensions on their cranks and what brand model it is. i prefer the higher end components to match the frame. thanks.
What you need is a spacer to offset the drive side cup a mm or so. This will shift the whole crankset to the right, assuming this will work with your UltraTorque BB. The "rivets" you refer to are the chain ring bolts, and the only way you can get more clearance is to 1) use a smaller bolt circle diameter crankset (like a compact with its 110 mm BCD) or 2) figure out how to shift the crankset to the right or 3) get a longer BB axle, though how you would do this with UltraTorque BBs is not clear to me - I have to confess I'm still in the square taper world.

· Militant commuter
943 Posts
Ha...Kerry, I missed the year of SR cranks and thus suggested a longer spindle. I don't think such a thing is possible with UltraTorque cranks (I, too, am still deeply entrenched in the square taper world).

9,925 Posts
Many 'cross, touring, and MTB framesets from earlier this decade just won't work with external bearing cranks. The stays are too wide, and they flare out too quickly. I just ran into the same thing today building up a new Origin-8 'cross frame.

You'll have to use square taper, ISIS, or Octalink so that you can use a longer spindle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.