Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a Truvativ double crank with 9spd Ultegra and, after hearing from several larger riders that 180mm cranks helped them out, I'm going in that direction. Without getting caught up in discussing my inseam, femur length, height, frame size, etc. (I've done some reading on Zinn and other web hits that seemed to confirm my inclination), I would like to know about any compatibility issues I should be aware of.

Also, I'm thinking about going with a compact crank and running a 12-23 on the rear; does that make sense? If I go with a different-brand crank, will I need to get a new BB or cups (please excuse the ignorance of this question, but it's been a long time since I've done any serious wrenching)? Any suggestions on particular cranksets?--I've heard there are more 180mm cranksets out there than there used to be.

Lastly, I've had a difficult time locating 180mm cranksets, at least with any sort of deal (best I've found w/180mm availability is new DA at $400, no BB. I'm not even sure if this would work with 9spd Ultegra, but it sure would be a great excuse to blow some cash on an upgraded drivetrain. . .), so if you have any suggestions there, they would be much appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance for your time and consideration!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts