Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings.
I'm interested in upgrading the OEM crank on my Allez and am looking at the Shimano 105 FC-5703: 50-39-30T crankset. Being as how this is a new product, there aren't many reviews of it around. Not too worried about quality, as I've had very little trouble with mid level Shimano goods. My current chainring sizing is 50-39-30T.
My concern is that the 105 is a 10spd whereas the stock is a 9spd. My rear derailleur is a 9spd Tiagra. Previous experience dictates that there might be some shifting issues if I continue to use a 9spd chain. Query, do I use a 10 spd chain with the 9spd derailleur? Do we predict any front derailleur issues? Any advice in regards to this setup?

musicisthehammer.com

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
The chain rings might be marginally thinner on a new 105 crankset. That's fine - it's only a problem in the other direction. The spacing hasn't changed, so your chain won't fall between the rings.

You'll probably have to adjust your front derailleur a little bit for the new crankset, just because chainline usually changes a little bit whenever a crankset or bottom bracket is changed. Shouldn't be a big deal.

Unless you've killed your current chain rings or they really, really blow, you're not likely to feel a difference. But if it makes you happy, go for it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Weight reduction

Biggest reason for switch would be the all too important weight reduction and added durability. Not the first mod I'm undertaking, but soonish.

Thanks for the info...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts