Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
It's all ball bearings
5,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I got one of the first BB Storms way back in early Dec from their first product run. I like the phone overall, but it's been buggy as h3ll and constantly freezes up, etc. Recently, I uploaded some music onto it for the first time -- and the music media app didn't function, AT ALL. Whenever I would select a song to play the phone would freeze up solid and require a force restart.

So I brought the little POS in to the Verizon Store and told them the deal, and they issued a replacement phone no questions asked with a new revised supposedly bug-free operating system and such. I thought to myself "Sweet! That was easy!"

So the new phone arrives on my doorstep via FedEx, I open it up, and read the pamphlet that came with it: "As a valued Verizon Wireless customer, we are pleased to provide you with your certified like-new replacement device."

Wha....?? [/sound of record scratching to a halt]

"Like-new"??!?!

So basically, I paid full price top dollar for a new phone that didn't function as advertised and they are replacing it with a refurbished gray market phone??? :confused:

Does that sound hokey to anyone else???

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,946 Posts
Don't ya love cell-phone companies?

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
That's the cat's bollocks.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
I thought

LKQ ruled the day, so to speak, and that with electronics, refurbished equipment was kinda the standard warranty replacement stuff.

No?

I guess I want to say two things:

1 ) Does it work?

2 ) Get an iPhone.

·
It's all ball bearings
5,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Argentius said:
LKQ ruled the day
LKQ?? :confused:

Is that in the same dictionary as P'son?

Je ne comprends pas.

and that with electronics, refurbished equipment was kinda the standard warranty replacement stuff.

No?
dunno, is that so?

I guess I want to say two things:

1 ) Does it work?

2 ) Get an iPhone.
1) dunno, aint tried yet...aint sure I want to keep it.

2) AT&T sux in the places I go

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
LKQ -- Like Kind and Quality. What kinda p'son dude are you?

Meaning, if your broke phone is used, then sending a reconditioned unit makes you "whole" again.

AT&T does suck next to Verizon for signal, no question there. I still love my iPhone.

·
Registered
636 Posts
BenWA said:
Wha....?? [/sound of record scratching to a halt]
Maybe it was the only other first production run phone they could find that seemed to work. "Like Kind and Quality" I guess doesn't refer to Liking the kind and quality?

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've been with Verizon forever and they just started this 'reconditioned' sh&t a few years ago. I could see if you purchased a 'refurbished' phone in the first place.

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
I avoided the Storm based on complaints such as yours. However, my new Buttberry Whatever (one step down) is a pia to operate, has too many tiny little buttons that require a microscope to see, freezes up all the time or loses its "radio signal" meaning incoming calls won't come through and furthermore I only can tell it lost "radio signal" when I go to make a call or websurf, requires too many steps just to do something simple like delete data/call history, and will arbitrarily tell me it can't connect to the web so I end up having to take the battery out and reboot it all the time.

I hate the effing thing. Not worth the dollars. Good thing it only cost me $70 with rebates and discounts. That and my plan is cheap because I get a hefty discount through the hospital.

·
It's all ball bearings
5,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yakky said:
Do you even know what grey market means?
Yes, why? Use of the term here wasn't meant literally, in case you missed the humor. Refurbished, second-rate merchandise is often what finds its way onto the grey market, and its almost as though this company is now using the grey market as an example for their own policy. Life imitating art, so to speak.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
AT&T does the same thing. After 30 days you get a refurbished phone. It sucks when you pay $300+ for a phone, but that life.

Having had bought and received these phones MANY times in the past, they are 99.9% just as good as new. Sometimes better because if the model has hardware/software issues, you won't have to worry about it.

Yes, the BB Storm sucks. Blame it on Version and their proprietary crap OS they force companies to put on phones for them.

Sell it, switch to AT&T and get a iPhone or a BB BOLD.

·
Cpark
2,062 Posts
Argentius said:
LKQ -- Like Kind and Quality. What kinda p'son dude are you?

Meaning, if your broke phone is used, then sending a reconditioned unit makes you "whole" again.

AT&T does suck next to Verizon for signal, no question there. I still love my iPhone.
Argentius,

Where do you live?
I had the opposite problem with Verizon.
They had poor coverage where I live and I switched to ATT several years ago and haven't looked back.
I like my iPhone but its battery life sucks if you use 3G all day long.

·
I like Chicken
1,403 Posts
BenWA said:
. Refurbished, second-rate merchandise is often what finds its way onto the grey market,
No.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_market

I hate that they do that, because like you said, you paid full pop and want a new device.
Especially when it's their fault for whatever reason.

I have been very fortunate in that I really have liked the Blackberry
devices I have owned. They have been relatively trouble free, as was
the unlocked iPhone I had.

The Storm otoh has been widely complained about.

Verizon seems to be the safest carrier (I never had issues when I used them)
but for whatever reason I really like T-Mo. ATT's plans are much
like Verizon's as far as value for plan pricing.

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
Quit playing around with those toy phones. Get a real-man's phone.

·
It's all ball bearings
5,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I got my "like new" replacement device swapped from my old phone, and the second I started to use it I realized something was wrong... the click screen didn't click uniformly -- it clicked well in the middle but barely clicked around the edges. So I thought "well this is gonna drive me absolutely nuts". So I brought it back to the Verizon store and got my old phone back, and uploaded the newest OS as Ken B described. So far so good. I think it works noticably better already.

What a buncha hooopla though, jeesh.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
I just switched to Verizon after being with T-Mobile for like 10+ years. I will see what happens. Porting the number was easy enough. I got a cheapo freebie Motorola that seems to work fine for my uses. I rarely text and don't have a data plan so I had the data part blocked.

If you are under contract they have you bent over and they can pretty much do what they want. Cell phones are the biggest scam going.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts