Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ol' gas range crapped out tonight. The oven control valve just spins without clicking into position, so no oven. "She who must be obeyed" won't admit that "someone" dropped something heavy on the knob, and broke the valve"
I'll probably have to run to Lowes tomorrow to look at ranges, because parts are hard to find for that make. I can't complain too much, because I guess that I got my monies' worth out of the range.

PS the range is 19 3/4 years old........damn cheap made in America products.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Quit yer whining ol' man.

Get a cast iron coal fired and never replace again.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Turn on the gas and stick a kitchen match in there. They don't call them 'kitchen matches' for no reason.

When I was a kid, you had to light the oven with a match every time.

I have no eyebrows.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Have you tried RepairClinic.com? I've been successful finding some pretty off-beat parts for my 17-year-old Caloric oven there.

·
24,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The range was purchased at Montgomery Wards. Same as my lawn mower.

PS Mine's a Caloric also.

·
24,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Modern appliances have too many safety devises to allow that.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Wait, wait--my father-in-law, who worked for "the gas company" for a few years before he quit in the early '60s to go with a sure-to-fail upstart firm called IBM, says you probably just need a new knobby dialy thing. The guts of gas ranges never go bad, he says.
My repair experience is almost entirely with electric, but he's still using a Servel gas refrigerator.he had when I came by to pick up his daughter for the first time in 1972. He's explained to me 25 times how a gas burner makes things cold, but I still don't get it.
He said to try repairclinic.com, too.

G

·
MR_GRUMPY said:
The Jenn-Air cooktop on our Island will only light on the right hand side.

The left hand side lights with kitchen matches.

Good luck finding replacement valves for less than the cost of a new cooktop.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
I've go a bad ignitor on my stove too...I just replace the one in the oven....about 35 bucks (stove top ignites fine with a match or lighter)

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
If you are going to go the match route make sure everyone involved knows.

We have a cabin out in the woods we like to spend time at. For the modern convenience I installed a gas range in the kitchen. I haul in the propane when we go there. Well one year some friends went there for Easter weekend. His wife/girlfriend put a ham in the oven and just turned it on without lighting it. Two hours later he went to check on it. Huh, no heat well I'll just light it he thought. No one was killed but his a$$ punched a hole in the back wall and we now have a open air kitchen with flame kissed drapes. Thankfully he wasent hurt bad but it was a really funny story afterwords.

The point, be careful.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Parts is Parts

MR_GRUMPY said:

I have a place in my area that does a lot of mail order business on appliance parts... http://www.bellparts.com/ I'd think they could fit you up with something that will work.

Of course, your wife may have trashed the knob on purpose in order to encourage you to buy her a new range?

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:

My water heater is a Montgomery Wards. It's due for replacement soon.

·
Super Moderator
40,842 Posts
mohair_chair said:
You can do that with a stove. Not with an oven.
If'n the oven is old enough (and a twenty-year old one might not be), you can, and may have to do, exactly that. Our oven, when I was a tyke, had a special hole in the front, for lighting w/ a kitchen match. We all feared, when we got a new oven, that the autolighting feature would fail, and we'd be blown up. Or gassed to death somehow.

The oven in my home now, part of a '64 Magic Chef, can be lighted manually from the broiler area.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
xxl said:
If'n the oven is old enough (and a twenty-year old one might not be), you can, and may have to do, exactly that. Our oven, when I was a tyke, had a special hole in the front, for lighting w/ a kitchen match. We all feared, when we got a new oven, that the autolighting feature would fail, and we'd be blown up. Or gassed to death somehow.

The oven in my home now, part of a '64 Magic Chef, can be lighted manually from the broiler area.
Modern day ovens use spark ignition rather than pilot lights, and also have expensive sensors (trust me, I know) that shut off the gas if it doesn't ignite. The days of putting your head in the oven to check yourself out are gone.

·
Super Moderator
40,842 Posts
By "modern," would you mean a twenty-year old one like the OP's?

From what I hear, helium is the new black, if you're going that route.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
No... they don't... trust me... I found out the hard way in 3rd grade.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.