Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put 400 miles on the rollers in 4 weeks, rode outdoors a few times, rode with the moderate-intensity group ride last night, felt good the whole time. Made the mistake of trying to ride with the high-intensity group tonight and got promptly dropped. I could blame the wind (steady 18 mph with higher gusts), but I should have known I was in trouble when everyone showing up was as thin as my little finger. To add to the frustration, my bottom bracket is making a noticable creak when I pedal that wasn't there last night. Crap, indeed; my ego and my bike may be hurt.

Ended up doing a 10-mile loop around the lake and sneaking home before anyone got back. Put some lube on the joint between the crank and the bottom bracket and I'll try the moderate group again tomorrow night. Mark my words, I will hang with the fast group by the end of the summer!

Just wanted to whine a little bit, thanks for reading. First post, BTW, after several months of lurking.

·
Registered
635 Posts
experiences like that make hanging with the high - intensity group all the more rewarding when it does happen.....

good luck, and welcome to the forum

·
mad scientist
204 Posts
jpv said:
...rode with the moderate-intensity group ride last night, felt good the whole time. Made the mistake of trying to ride with the high-intensity group tonight and got promptly dropped.
Your legs just may have been tired from last night! You'll probably need to be fresh to hang with the high intensity cats at least at first...Good luck!

·
Registered
357 Posts
As disturbing as it is to get dropped, I'd rather have something to shoot for, and work on increasing the time I can hang with the fast group than constantly lead the moderate pack.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I had almost the same experience this week. Been riding with a regular group and was usually at the front. Monday did a nice 18 mile loop with about 1200 ft of climbing and felt strong.
Tues night did a 28 mile loop with 2100 ft of climbing with a new group and pretty much got destroyed.
Should have known when the avg pace on the flats was between 20-22mph. I was tired before we even got to the mountain

Bad for the ego, good for motivation though
-Rich

·
Alien Musician
4,537 Posts
I try to look at it this way, I'll see how long I can hang with them.

2004 was the year I tried to work on increasing my average speed
as well as keeping the endurance. Sometimes it's a matter of finding
the right tipping point between endurance and speed - I still haven't
quite found it with the really fast guys but I'm doing better.

Sometimes it's just a matter of the fact that those guys slammed a
dozen cans of jolt before the ride and had two weeks of good rest
before the ride too.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,267 Posts
Cory said:
That's my motto, and it's served me well for many years.
I avoid people named Cory. They are usually up to no good...

Anyway, some of my most memorable rides are those fast group rides where i'm on the rivet the whole time, but manage to finish with the group. Can't get faster unless you ride faster.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Well, in my case it was that I got totally suckered - evidently they race up the mountain at least once a month and have been for a while....a fact they failed to mention until after the ride :)

·
mad scientist
204 Posts
imetis said:
As disturbing as it is to get dropped, I'd rather have something to shoot for, and work on increasing the time I can hang with the fast group than constantly lead the moderate pack.
I hear ya. As you are working your way back into shape, it might be tough to hang with the A group on the second night of a back to back...That's all I'm saying....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just got done with my moderate group ride that went much better than last night's ride. Actually, it was a little too slow on account of a group of older folks who wanted to get in some miles for a charity ride coming up in June. They were a bit too chatty according to some that were riding with them.

Oh, well. It's April and I'm well on my way to reaching my goals for the year. All is well in bikeland.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts