Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a simple, stupid, 10mph dump today, bounced off my left side hip and elbow with NO damage to the bike or my clothes and minimal road rash. Truly a non event sort of crash.

Problem is that it's now 8 hrs later and walking is incredibly painful. Sitting is fine, very little pain, but walking.....ugh, wow. Can't bear much/any weight on my left hip. My very cautious and conservative wife says go to the ER, I prefer the "head in the sand" approach of more motrin and a good nights sleep.

I'd value some thoughts and insights on this one. How long do you let a hip injury bug you before you decide to seek some outside help?

·
Registered
662 Posts
I went down hard in early March and banged up my left hip. I couldn't walk for couple days and it took me 8+ weeks to heal. Ice is your friend for the first 3 days. After a week of hobbling around and ingesting Advil I became worried that I wasn't healing as fast as I should. So I went to the Doc and got checked out and luckily nothing was cracked or broken which was a relief; now I knew I would get better with a little more time.

So not being able to walk for a while may be par for the course but it is hard to tell the extent of your injury with out getting a Pro to look at it.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
Since you can walk, I would recommend an "Urgent Care" center, instead of an ER. The Co-pay is usually half of what an ER costs, and they can do many of the same things.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good point Grump. Turn around time would be light years ahead as well........

Interestingly, an adult beverage of catastrophic proportions has done wonders. I can shuffle across the kitchen floor in 4" increments better than grandma......

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kevin_in_SB said:
Rub some dirt on it your going to be fine. Take it easy and Ice it if it's not feeling better Monday go to Urgent Care not the ER.
Thank you sir, another weekend evening NOT spent at the ER. This is automatically a winning situation. I'll keep the Urgent Care option available for Monday when I should be at work:D .

·
Registered
277 Posts
LigonierA1 said:
Thank you sir, another weekend evening NOT spent at the ER. This is automatically a winning situation. I'll keep the Urgent Care option available for Monday when I should be at work:D .
Unless you think it's life or death avoid ER Doesn't sound broken but if it is you will know by Monday. Have a glass of wine and take it easy.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
I'm no medical expert, but I think if you can walk at all, even a little bit, even with mucho pain, your hip is probably not broken. I used to work with geriatric developmentally disabled people, and I've seen 5 or 6 broken hips. With a broken hip those people couldn't move. They couldn't get up. One of the tell tale signs is that while seated one leg will be noticeably shorter than the other. But hey....I'm not a doctor, and I don't even play one on T.V.

There's a woman in our club who fell on her hip about 5 years ago. It was severely bruised - BIG hematoma - not even any road rash. After 5 years the lump from the bruising is still noticeable. She's a terrific rider (has no trouble embarrassing thhe hell out of me), has no pain or ill effects, but the lump is still there.

If you're in pain and concerned, I'd have it checked out....now.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Why is everyone talking about ERs or urgent care? Get an emergncy appointment on Monday with an orthorpedic doc. He will be in the best position to diagnose and prerscribe treatment for the fastest recovery.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
But can he X-Ray??

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Make an appointment on Monday. If you have insurance or not...$275 for some x-rays is a major mental relief. You'll have an answer in about 20 minutes and life resumes. If there is injury that they want MRI or ultra sound, you'll get taken care of quickly. Worst case, you wait and it "heals" wrong.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Long time paramedic here. It's hard to assess over the internet. The problem isn't all fractures. The hip has several major blood vessels that run through the area. If they are damaged, you can bleed out into your pelvic region. There won't always be external visible evidence. There are also some ligaments. If they are damaged you will have significant pain.

Now here is where it gets really complicated. I don't your age and medical history. I don't have any of the specifics of the mechanism of injury. I can't see you to look for subtle signs that might give me clues as to what may, or may not, be happening. I can not palpate for peripheral pulses. Further, during this fall did any other portion of your body strike the pavement? Did your head hit the pavement, and were you wearing a helmet?

Bottom line, it's pretty hard to assess trauma over the internet. My best suggestion if you are concerned go the ER.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Probably just bruised..

I broke my hip in '05 and believe me if you hip was broken you could not walk. It's probably a bad bruise, but if the pain persists I would have an x-ray taken..

·
Registered
65 Posts
hip injury

At a minimum I would strongly recommend that you go to a drug store and buy some crutches. Use the crutches over the weekend and go to an orthopaedic surgeon on monday first thing for an x-ray. You could also go to an urgent care today for an x-ray. 99% of orthopaedic surgeons have x-ray machines in the office. I am an orthopaedic surgeon and treat many cycling inuries. The concern is that if you do have a fracture it can shift with walking (weight bearing). The difference between a fracture that has not shifted out of place (non-disdisplaced) and one that has (displaced) is huge. A non-displaced hip fracture can be treated with pins and usually heals well, a displaced fracture if fixed with pins can lead to avascular necrosis (think floyd landis). This leads to a hip replacement. The best way to asses the situation for yourself is if the pain is in the groin that is more likely a fracture, if the pain is over the side of the hip it is less likely a fracture. A few hunderd buck for an x-ray is a lot cheaper than many thousands of dollars for a hip replacement.

·
Registered
150 Posts
there's also a big difference between" being sore" and "in pain"...if you are in pain i would suggest medical attention. if you are sore i'd do the whole ice and advil deal

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the feedback, one and all. I appreciate the advice and qualified medical attention.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Ditto what Grumpy says. And as a Medical professional, ER's are for EMERGENCIES. This is hardly one. See your family doc if you have one or visit an urgent care center.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Been there, done that

Sorry, I'm a little late on this thread but here is my experience. Dumped the bike about the same way, landed (I think) on my cell phone. Phone was fine, hip was sore - rode the bike 3-4 miles home. When I got there, could hardly put any weight at all on that leg. Got cleaned up, ate supper, ER, X-rays, yep it was broken. Surgery first thing the next morning, pins just like Landis.

Its now 4 years later, pins came out a year ago, riding a lot more and better now.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.