Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man these pros are hitting the deck worse than the Crash 5's.

What's up with that?

Let's hope Ricco is ok.

http://live.cyclingnews.com/?id=5

16:02 CEST
Here we have the feared mass crash. A large number of riders and bikes are scatterd over the road. Let's hope everyone gets up again.

16:04 CEST
No idea how the crash came about. Ricco is holding his left hand as it if it hurts, but he is continuing. A High Road rider is still not back on his back, and another rider has a lot of helpers around him

16:06 CEST
Looks like a rider hit a water bottle on the road -- possibly David Millar? At any rate, the rider was about 15 th in the peloton, and everyone behind him just went right on down, too. Not the kind of picture we like to see!

And the raindrops have come back, too.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
We see this every year early in the season. While the spring classics have been going on for most of the year so far, these grand tours seem to really bring out the crashes the first week. The TdF always has a fair amount of this going on as well. Keep in mind, there are a lot of guys in the peloton for the Giro right now who are racing their first big events of the year, I would imagine, as many guys just don't participate in the classics.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
the peloton is twice the size of the average field limit of an amateur race here. Combine that with roads that go from wide to narrow all the time, stages of 5+ hours, and everyone fighting for position, and you've got a nice recipe for lots of pileups.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Also, in the Giro, the barricaded roads in the final KM are quite narrow.

·
waterproof*
41,745 Posts
I saw McGee's crash on the RAI feed. Seemed like he just took a curve too wide / hot and slid out.

Didn't see O Grady's but he could've been in the earlier crash that Ricco got caught in. That one ended up with bikes all over the whole road.

·
Growing Older, Not Up
1,321 Posts
Bianchi67 said:
Someone else overcooked the turn and fell into McGee. McGee's cervelo snapped in half, both top and down tubes. I have no idea what held the bike together.

Here is some images from cycling.tv...
Maybe his LBS will give him a good deal on a crash replacement frame...

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bianchi67 said:
Someone else overcooked the turn and fell into McGee. McGee's cervelo snapped in half, both top and down tubes. I have no idea what held the bike together.

Here is some images from cycling.tv...

No, it can't be the same Cervelo that was in the commercial a few years ago that withstood the test of them dropping weight on the bike, and the competitors top tube broke in half.

See this thread here:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=65628&highlight=cervelo

·
Registered
453 Posts
The road conditions are terrible in Italy, when the rain comes the roads are super slick, and the roads themselves are of a very smooth tarmac, much like marble.
What happened to Mcgee was that Vasil Kiriyenka (Tinkoff) overcooked the turn and had to run deep into the very dusty hard shoulder, the bike then slipped from underneath him and he went into the armco barrier, the bike itself then bounced back into the peloton into the back wheel of a Lotto rider, amazingly the lotto rider front wheelied it off but Mcgee directly behind him was not so lucky. I also believe O'Grady was involved in the same crash, but rid on with his broken collarbone and finished 8:30 later.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
enemyte said:
The road conditions are terrible in Italy, when the rain comes the roads are super slick, and the roads themselves are of a very smooth tarmac, much like marble.
What happened to Mcgee was that Vasil Kiriyenka (Tinkoff) overcooked the turn and had to run deep into the very dusty hard shoulder, the bike then slipped from underneath him and he went into the armco barrier, the bike itself then bounced back into the peloton into the back wheel of a Lotto rider, amazingly the lotto rider front wheelied it off but Mcgee directly behind him was not so lucky. I also believe O'Grady was involved in the same crash, but rid on with his broken collarbone and finished 8:30 later.
Tyler Hamiliton did this in the TdF once.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.