Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I am Thor and responsible for the new Ryde Rims for the US Market.
We are thinking of doing something a little extra for our customers. Crashes unfortunately happen and stuff breaks, wheels even real good ones are not exempt from this.
And we know that parts are expensive and money doesn't grow on trees, at least not here.

I did that a couple years ago with helmets. Now wheels are much more complicated.
Freight alone is a problem with ever increasing shipping costs.

Here is my idea...
If you own a set of Ryde rims and bust them in a crash. You can either get a new rim at a heavy discounted price directly from us .... photo in email which indicates the model etc should be sufficient.

Or you could send the wheel to us.... we will use your hub, new Sapim spokes, than have a great local wheelbuilder built a new wheel and send it back to you ....
Depending on rim, what spokes we use , freight, labour etc etc ..

Meaning ... a Elite Series wheel rebuilt with CxRay wheels would be around 200 dlr and a Super Series wheel with Sapim Race spokes would be 130 dlr ish ...

What you guys think. ?

Thanks Thor

·
Registered
283 Posts
Well Mavic has a no questions asked replacement program that you pay for but the problem is you still have to wait a long time to get wheel back. I imagine that unless you are close to Ryde that would be the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
waiting time is an issue ... indeed .
one week to mail it to us ( sometimes less, but lets take the coasts instead of the middle where we are ) than 2 weeks for wheelbuilder to get it done, just to be safe. One week back ... before you know it its a month
:-(
Thor

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Here is my idea...
If you own a set of Ryde rims and bust them in a crash. You can either get a new rim at a heavy discounted price directly from us .... photo in email which indicates the model etc should be sufficient.

Or you could send the wheel to us.... we will use your hub, new Sapim spokes, than have a great local wheelbuilder built a new wheel and send it back to you ....
Depending on rim, what spokes we use , freight, labour etc etc ..

Meaning ... a Elite Series wheel rebuilt with CxRay wheels would be around 200 dlr and a Super Series wheel with Sapim Race spokes would be 130 dlr ish ...

What you guys think. ?

Thanks Thor
You'd probably get a few sleeze bags who take pictures of a broken rim and send you pictures of the same broken rim multiple times.

The second option would boil down if shipping cost more of less than the discount for replacement.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
You'd probably get a few sleeze bags who take pictures of a broken rim and send you pictures of the same broken rim multiple times.
Have 'em take the pic with the daily paper (online or hard copy) in the view.

The second option would boil down if shipping cost more of less than the discount for replacement.
For those of us who mailorder all bike parts, that point is moot.

I think it's a great idea Thor. I've never been aware of any rim distributor doing this.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Have 'em take the pic with the daily paper (online or hard copy) in the view.

For those of us who mailorder all bike parts, that point is moot.

I think it's a great idea Thor. I've never been aware of any rim distributor doing this.
-Because no one would think of just getting a current newspaper each time?

-Not sure why you'd be willing to pay more to send a rim back to get a discount replacement when it would be cheaper to just buy a not discounted replacement but okay.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
-Because no one would think of just getting a current newspaper each time?
They'd think of it if Thor demanded it.

-Not sure why you'd be willing to pay more to send a rim back to get a discount replacement when it would be cheaper to just buy a not discounted replacement but okay.
Pay attention; he never said you had to send the old rim back. Only if a fella wanted them to replace the rim & spokes.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
They'd think of it if Thor demanded it.

Pay attention; he never said you had to send the old rim back. Only if a fella wanted them to replace the rim & spokes.
You completely missed the point, both of them.

What good would demanding a photo with a current newspaper do when someone could just keep buying new newspapers?

For the OTHER option he said "Or you could send the wheel to us" Pretty sure a rim is part of a wheel so, yes, he did say you had to send the rim back to get that option.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I thought Boyd and Williams to name a couple had a crash replacement program. Not sure on November.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Crash replacements for alloys are always going to be a little funny, simply because the cost of shipping and labor are high relative to the cost of the rim. It's reasonable for us to subsidize costs on the material (rim and spokes), but shipping is a hard cost that we can't contribute to, and we sure can't subsidize labor rate too much either. At the risk of sounding rude, I'm a sympathetic guy but I'm not willing to work for half rate because you crashed, and I'm no way asking anyone working for us to do so, either.

For some rims (HED, for example), we need to charge more than $150 for crash replace, or else we're simply paying people to crash. We also simply can't afford to be in the business of rebuilding everyone's wheels every year at greatly reduced rates - our prices are already pretty lean.

·
I love to climb!
2,046 Posts
Do these rims have serial numbers? If so, that would take care of Jay's theoretical scammer. They'd need a pic of the serial number along with the pic of the damaged rim.

A crash replacement program is a nice service for customers.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Like November Dave said, just getting a break on materials is a big deal. Shipping and labor on a non warranty issue is not going to happen. I'm sure I would be happy to get the same quality build as before and any discount even if just on spokes and rim would be nice. Certain amount of integrity required involving just a picture and to make it work would require book keeping and serial numbers or some ability to track this stuff. Abuse could drive a company under quickly.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,443 Posts
Am I missing something here? Is this sort of like buying an insurance policy in case I crash and destroy my wheels? I think if I were in a crash that was serious enough that my wheels got destroyed, I'd be messed up enough for a hospital trip. Unless the wheels I bought were $1,000+, the other expenses, inconveniences and lost time from work I'd have to deal with would make my trashed wheelset one of the last things on my mind.

It's a nice idea, but personally, I would pass if there were an extra cost. If it doesn't cost anything extra, I have to question if something like this could be profitable. Jay expressed the concerns of fraud if the actual wheels aren't required to be sent in. If I were a merchant, I certainly wouldn't have this much trust. I am on very good terms with my exemplary bike shop. The stories I hear about what some customers try to pull is astounding.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Am I missing something here? ...
Some companies offer it like an insurance thing (Mavic and Reynolds have this I think), where you buy it when you buy the wheels. Some basically price it into the wheels, and some others (us among them) do what they can when the need arises.

We're shipping one out today, in fact. A customer hit a big rock with his front wheel. He was undamaged, but his wheel was done for - brake tracks crushed and the rim's sidewalls were bulged out. Regular price on just that front would be $310 delivered, he paid $180 delivered, but we reused his hub and spokes. It's one of those things you do when you're in the bike business, where you're glad you're the CEO and there's no CFO or Board because no way do normal businesses do that.

Likewise with trusting customers. There's the occasional a--hat who's going to figure out a way to work you, but in general most people are pretty cool. Even if the product is as important as it is, which it is, this is a service business. It's sort of a pragmatic trust, in that if you go in without the default attitude that people are on the level, that's going to show through and you won't get far. And hope karma deals with the jerks.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,443 Posts
Some companies offer it like an insurance thing (Mavic and Reynolds have this I think), where you buy it when you buy the wheels. Some basically price it into the wheels, and some others (us among them) do what they can when the need arises.

We're shipping one out today, in fact. A customer hit a big rock with his front wheel. He was undamaged, but his wheel was done for - brake tracks crushed and the rim's sidewalls were bulged out. Regular price on just that front would be $310 delivered, he paid $180 delivered, but we reused his hub and spokes. It's one of those things you do when you're in the bike business, where you're glad you're the CEO and there's no CFO or Board because no way do normal businesses do that.

Likewise with trusting customers. There's the occasional a--hat who's going to figure out a way to work you, but in general most people are pretty cool. Even if the product is as important as it is, which it is, this is a service business. It's sort of a pragmatic trust, in that if you go in without the default attitude that people are on the level, that's going to show through and you won't get far. And hope karma deals with the jerks.

OK, understood. I think your policy of a half-price replacement is very reasonable. Rather than free crash replacements, having the customer pay something will keep away the true a**hats who really won't bother to try and bilk the system unless it's totally free for them.

And what you say is true that people can sense lack of trust which will turn them off. I have gotten to know the people at my LBS quite well and as I have observed, being in retail takes a lot of patience. Most customers are good. But there are the few who will try silly things like asking for warranty repairs on things that were obviously user abuse. Others will come in to the shop and try to haggle prices on $20 accessories. In this day and age, you have to handle these people delicately, or they will go onto the internet and "get revenge" so-to-say.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts