Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was heading home from a road ride on a local bike path. A homeless guy just rolls out of the bushes right into my lane and I t-bone him. Cracked my frame in the process (and a bunch of other less valuable items). He has no insurance, I got his info but didn't give him mine.

What should I do? Homeowners insurance claim? Car insurance claim?

Anyone else have a similar situation?

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
You're probably out of luck with your homeowner's insurance unless you have a rider/inland marine coverage specifically for you bike.

But, yeah, call your insurance guy.

Just curious. What kind of "info" do you get from a homeless guy and how would you ever hope to contact him if you needed to?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
That sucks.

I'm not sure him having or not having insurance has anything to do with you, though. I wouldn't expect him, insurance or not, to pay you anything.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Depending on the value of your bike and what your deductible is, it might not be worth filing the claim.

Homeowners/Renters insurance is pretty important in the event something catastrophic happens (flood, fire, etc...). If you file a claim now for the bike, it might result in higher insurance rates down the road.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
this is why we need convenient outlets for quick-cash, outpatient kidney extraction.

glad you're all right.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That sucks.

I'm not sure him having or not having insurance has anything to do with you, though. I wouldn't expect him, insurance or not, to pay you anything.
So ridiculous. My bike cost more than a lot of the cars on the road. Should be treated like a car crash IMO.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I don't get comment 8 at all. U/w coverage has to involve an accident involving an uninsured or underinsured motorist. A person rolling out of the bushes hardly qualifies

You can try homeowners policy, but personal property is insured on a stated peril basis. Neither of my policies would cover this loss. If it is covered under your policy, expect replacement coverage less deductible.

Homeowners policies are rated differently than auto policies. A small loss rarely has any effect unless it is one of a string of losses

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't get comment 8 at all. U/w coverage has to involve an accident involving an uninsured or underinsured motorist. A person rolling out of the bushes hardly qualifies

You can try homeowners policy, but personal property is insured on a stated peril basis. Neither of my policies would cover this loss. If it is covered under your policy, expect replacement coverage less deductible.

Homeowners policies are rated differently than auto policies. A small loss rarely has any effect unless it is one of a string of losses
Let him call his home insurance company and see. In my case I know what I had to do and that was use my auto insurance. i know that if he was hurt and tried to use his health insurance in my state you would need to go through your auto policy. (If you mentioned you were on a bike) Car involved or not. Don't see why it would be different for the lose of property.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I stated he could try his H/o policy, I just would not expect too much. You don't give the facts of your case, or what state. You advised to file under U/W coverage. Two very different things.

Here is common language for uninsured coverage. We will pay damages for bodily injury an insured is legally entitled to collect from the owner or driver of an uninsured motor vehicle

Most states don't cover property damage under uninsured motorist coverage. A very few do offer this coverage for an extra premium

A few states have rules regarding payments for medical expenses arising from auto accidents. Michigan with it's unique no fault laws comes to mind, but this is a bicycle and a pedestrian.

Did your case involve a bike and pedestrian, or a bike and a motor vehicle. Property damage vs medical expenses. With the facts of your case it would be easier to understand

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Considering how much you have invested in your bikes, it would probably be prudent to proactively discuss them with your insurance agent(s) to find out what they are covered for, and under what circumstances, and what, if any riders are available to you.

If you find their answers insufficient, you could always consider a special policy just for your bikes.
There are companies like Velosurance (and others I'm sure) that provide theft and crash replacement policies for your bikes, even when you are traveling.

Note: I'm not endorsing them, I just gave it as an example - I don't use their services. I consulted with my insurance company (same for home, property,and vehicles), and am happy with the coverage, and more importantly, understand the gaps, and am willing to accept the risk for those gaps.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Going to be tough to claim anything. If it was in your garage, on your roof rack, or in transit, you might have a decent claim with homeowners. I have a claim right now because my frame was being painted and the shop burned down. It's still subject to a $1000 deductible.

If you're involved in a crash with another cyclist, I'd say best of luck because you'll likely never get anything. You take your risks when you're out riding. I've seen crashes in group rides where some guy gets his frame broken and wants everyone's insurance information. Most people just laugh him off.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You suggested the home insurance..I suggest the auto insurance. He should try the home insurance and see what they say. If they say no I suggest his auto insurance.

My case may not be relevant to him.

All I know is that when I got the hospital and people heard bike accident the told me it was listed as MV accident. They never even asked what happened. I later found out cycling accidents go through the car insurance medical first. So I figure the OP should at least try it. Maybe his collision coverage provide some relief. Nothing to lose.

I don't see how home insurance covers an accident off premises.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I stated he could try his H/o policy, I just would not expect too much. You don't give the facts of your case, or what state. You advised to file under U/W coverage. Two very different things.

Here is common language for uninsured coverage. We will pay damages for bodily injury an insured is legally entitled to collect from the owner or driver of an uninsured motor vehicle

Most states don't cover property damage under uninsured motorist coverage. A very few do offer this coverage for an extra premium

A few states have rules regarding payments for medical expenses arising from auto accidents. Michigan with it's unique no fault laws comes to mind, but this is a bicycle and a pedestrian.

Did your case involve a bike and pedestrian, or a bike and a motor vehicle. Property damage vs medical expenses. With the facts of your case it would be easier to understand
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I am kind of shaken up. I was on a bike and I crashed into another bike.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts