Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last week i was hit at the end of a long ride, 72miles. I was incredibly lucky. He did not see me, but knew a bike was in the area, and veered into the shoulder like i wasnt there. It was damage control from initial contact, far inside the shoulder. i did everything i could to slow to a stop in the tiny path of gravel, shreading my rear tire. It was inevitable, i was going down. When The contact with the car happened strava showed my speed of 30mph, headed towards the intersection decending into a green light.
I flipped over the bars but held on, hoping to keep the bike between me and the pavement, rolled my helmet onto the ground and only scrapped a shoulder.

I was shocked, confused, and just really scared that i was hurt but in shock so i must not feel it. No cracked helmet, guy stopped and stood there frozed as i slowly realized what happened. Lady yelled for me to get my bike outta the road. No injurys, wth?? Bike was weird like soft in front, tires held air, but ridable. Only later did i find out from the shop the frame and rear rim are toasted, cracked and soft. Guy who hit me followed me until i waved him off. I Dropped bike off at a lbs, walked home, showered, and hit the ER. Still shaken, i wanted to pay fo someone to tell me i was ok, lol and they did.

Driver was incredibly sorry, we hugged at the scene, traded info, and hoped for the best for the brand new car, my bike, and potential closed head injury.

In hindsight, always call the cops, and wait for an ambulance. But it was getting cold and i was literally three miles away from my friends apt. Near a local bike shop.

I have been scared many times while riding, horns, swervers, car that cut you off, rogue squirrels, been bitten a few times (dont go that way anymore) etc. I do not go out seeking dangerous situations, dont ride dark times or busy roads. But they are roads.

I always: ride alone, wear hi-vis tops, pink knee high compression socks, blink or steady lights both front and back. RIM BRAKES.

08 FUJI team, full ultegra, tribars, roval clx rims. Crashed wednesday Nov. 16. 5:28pm

I think the only way to get back in the game is to go supersix with disc. What are some other options? I loved that bike, stole a good amount of KOMs and really enjoyed its compliance in the crap roads.

I want to Think 19.5mph+ for 40 miles with 2500+ft elevation daily. Wish i could afford a new dura ace madone, but due to the age i am just not getting much $$ for this totalled heap. Maybe if i had been hurt it would have been worth my financial bike loss, but eh....lets be real. I trucking lived

I have no experience fighting cars without a cage so any pointers appreciated.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
He did not see me, but knew a bike was in the area, and veered into the shoulder like i wasnt there.

Guy who hit me followed me until i waved him off. I Dropped bike off at a lbs, walked home, showered, and hit the ER.

In hindsight, always call the cops, and wait for an ambulance.
Glad you're "sort of OK."

Have I misread your post? Did you not get contact information from the driver? The guy could have easily killed you and it sounds like you let him drive away with you holding the bag for both the bike and your injuries. Can this be true?

Please explain what the type of brakes have to do with any of this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Got his number at scene texted to me, he followed up with insurance info that night, also he opened the insurance claim that night.

I was super confused at the scene, and likely low blood sugar from a long ride. Though not diabetic, i often suffer from low blood pressure, and have to watch my salt intake.

His insurance is holding the bag, i am waiting for a check.

Brakes have nothing to do with this, you are correct. Pretty new to this sport. Only 6700 miles ridden, 4400 of that this year. Just heartbroken my season ended this way. Not sure if i will have a new bike in time for daytona jetski freeride in January.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Get hit by car, CALL POLICE!!!!

·
Cooper1960
526 Posts
I'm certainly glad you're OK. How in the world did your frame break with such a clean line? Or is that a hack saw cut to reveal inside damage?

·
Registered
960 Posts
You mentioned that his insurance company was paying you very little for the bike. You did not mention if you also have an injury claim going.

I also have a suggestion. Home owners insurance pays for personal property on a stated peril basis. One peril listed will cover property hit by vehicle. Some may say motor vehicle, but makes no difference in your case

The reason I bring this up is that settlement under homeowner insurance is based on contract law I.e. the policy language. Making a liability claim against the responsible driver is based on common law. The amount can vary substantially. Homeowners settlements are replacement cost minus deductible. Liability settlement is actual cash value

Bear in mind that insurance agents rarely see these claims. They often tell insurers that bike crashes are not covered. This is correct with the exception of a crash with another vehicle. Often you have to insist that the claim be reported to your insurance company

You can choose between the two possible claims settlements depending on which gives you the most money for a replacement. You cannot collect both

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@herbie Thank You. My father mentioned something about my renters insurance policy possibly covering something. I will investigate based on your post. I received very little for a injury compensation. Honestly much more emotionally/spiritually crushed, than physically hurt. If thats a thing.

@cooper1960 The bike was cut bc the shop deemed it unsafe. insurance agreed it was a total loss, but that the bike must be rendered disabled. Not sure if i will get a shot at buying it back from the shop/insurance. Part of me never wants to see it again, part of me wants to hang the frame on the wall in my garage.

From now on, i need to be more involved in a cycling forum. I dont have a bike group, riding buddy, i just rely on the lbs where i work and the lbs back home in michigan.

Thanks for the kind words, i didnt do everything right after the incident. Its been a fast ride but slow learning curve.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Honestly, how you reacted was perfectly normal. When you get into an accident, your usually in a state of shock wondering what is going on. Of course in hindsight, you always should have called the police and do everything properly, but don't beat your self up on that. Your not in the right mindset after an accident.

When I got into an accident, and did an endo on a main road... the only thing I can think of is getting home... as long as the bike can still operate... all I wanted to do was make it home. I'm not sure why my brain reacted that way, but it seems normal.

Last year when I was riding with my wife behind me, she took a tumble at 30mph hitting a hidden rock. Bike flew a good 20 feet into the road and she was just sitting on the side of the road in shock as well. All she could think of is getting the bike. Took me a while to calm her down make sure everything is ok. She was scared and for some reason concerned that she had destroyed the bike. I could care less if the bike gets ran over.

Luckily for the both incidence, we only got bruised and road rash. Our helmets did their job and both cracked. Her frame was a write off and mine just a bit scraped up.

At the end of it, we both counted ourselves lucky. Our equipment can all be replaced. I'd rather crack a frame and helmet than break a bone.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
You shouldn't have signed a medical release until everything else gets sorted out. It's a powerful thing to hold over the head of an insurance company. They try to cheap out on replacing your bike, you tell them your back is feeling sore. Seriously, make sure you are OK before signing anything.

The age of your bike should make no difference. They should replace it with a new equivalent bike. My wife's bike got stolen last year. It was a Litespeed Tuscany with 9-speed Dura Ace bought in 1996. The insurance company paid for a brand new Lynskey 350 with Dura Ace 9000. It ran around $7500. I argued that was the new replacement and they paid for it. Find an equivalent Fuji bike and tell them that's what you want. It's not resale value, it's new replacement value.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Can anyone help with a similar fuji bike? I was damn fast on that bike. But i already signed the insurance release i believe. I did research before, and called a lawyer, etc but it is in the past now. I would sure like them to buy me a new madone 9 ultegra. Never known someone to live thru a bike crash. I am from kalamazoo where people hunt cyclists for sport. Guy ran his truck into a group of 9 and killed 6. Didnt see a manual for what to do if you live in all the coverage. While currently bikeless, my heart goes out to anyone injured in a bike/car incident.
I figured signing a medical release was for documents from care clinic, etc. Comprehension is not a strong trait of mine

Speed is my specialty.

Heres a bike that i believe i could be faster at riding than my ol fuji, with less pressure on aging lumbar discs

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
You shouldn't have signed a medical release until everything else gets sorted out. It's a powerful thing to hold over the head of an insurance company. They try to cheap out on replacing your bike, you tell them your back is feeling sore. Seriously, make sure you are OK before signing anything.
Great advice, makes sense. I am glad you're ok OP..

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
If you still have ownership of your bike then you could have that broken tube fixed. Calfee bikes in Calif and probably a similar place wherever you are located. Also the components have a value to sell or to keep. You could contact Calfee and they would explain shipping and such.

I do not know what bike you should purchase. I would not buy used carbon myself given the damage they take in a crash. Sometimes it's not apparent but it's still there. Also no warranty.

The speed you posted is very impressive. Around here you would own the place. Good for you. You should be proud of your abilities.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Pmf is making a common mistake in thinking all insurance claims are alike. His wife's claim was filed under their homeowners policy which is governed by the contract language. Homeowners policies generally provide for replacement costs minus deductible

When you make a liability claim against another person different rules apply. This is an apples to oranges situation

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hindsight is 20-20, but I think in this kind of situation if the area has EMS service it's better to wait for them to check you out at the scene. You can always refuse transport. At least you then have some record. And even if you go to an ER and they don't admit you, I think it would be worthwhile to see a general practitioner/internist for follow-up and maybe get some diagnostic work for possible soft-tissue damage etc.

scott s.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just borrowed a fixed gear steel rig to rip down the gravel roads here in central Missouri.

All wrapped up with the insurance company. Honestly, after the wicked fast crash i am content just to be breathing, so a bit of cash to compensate for no longer having my dialed in carbon road bike is an ok deal.

If i enjoy this fixie ride today, i may get a similar setup off bikes direct to get me through winter. By then i should be able to find a used madone 9.9 dura ace. Or similar.

Thank you for all the positive responses!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts