Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went down pretty hard... long stort short, I caught a shoe in my front spokes and broke a bunch of spokes and bent the rest.

Half of the spokes snapped in the middle, half snapped at the spoke head. They were alu nipples. The rim looks fine, but it does concern me that I put enough stress on the rim to break a spoke in half.

Is it safe to reuse the rim? Its pretty new, less than 100 miles on it and I dont see cracks or visible damage.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Sorry to hear about it but at least you are OK and that counts more than any wheel.

I think the aluminum nipples are the weakest link so there is a good chance that the rim may be ok unless is something super light.

Do you see any waving when you rest it flat on level surface? Similarly, do you see any flat spots when you roll it? If these check out ok, I dont know anything else to do other than building it and see how it behaves under tension.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just rechecked. The rim isnt flat spotted or wavy when laid on the floor... however, I just noticed a few spoke holes are protruding out. The rim definitely stretched out.

I hurt pretty bad and im losing money every day im not at work... I dont know if its worth even trying to reuse it, Im sketched out now with the spoke holes. Time to build a BHS wide rim I suppose.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
if the rim is compromised at the spoke drillings you should not attempt reusing it. It may tension up allright but noone knows how long it will last.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Was it your foot or someone else's?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.