Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, a little over a week ago I took my first spill in a crit (3 laps to go, near the front...perfect...). Anyway, other than my skin, my shifters got beat up a bit. I currently have the new 10 speed 105 stuff, and my rear shifter is the only thing that's got more than cosmetic damage to it. The entire shifting mechanism got bent inside the hood part of the assembly, and now the shifting motion isn't too smooth.

So, I am trying to decide if I should just keep what I have until it doesn't work anymore at all or if I should go ahead and replace it. Ideally, I would like to wait until this stuff doesn't work anymore and then upgrade to the new SRAM groupo when it comes out...the only thing is I don't know when it will be coming out, or how much it will cost. If I replace them now, I am going to go with Dura Ace. So advise me, RBR...should I hold out for SRAM or go for the DA now?

·
Slowpoke
73 Posts
TBomb said:
So, a little over a week ago I took my first spill in a crit (3 laps to go, near the front...perfect...). Anyway, other than my skin, my shifters got beat up a bit. I currently have the new 10 speed 105 stuff, and my rear shifter is the only thing that's got more than cosmetic damage to it. The entire shifting mechanism got bent inside the hood part of the assembly, and now the shifting motion isn't too smooth.

So, I am trying to decide if I should just keep what I have until it doesn't work anymore at all or if I should go ahead and replace it. Ideally, I would like to wait until this stuff doesn't work anymore and then upgrade to the new SRAM groupo when it comes out...the only thing is I don't know when it will be coming out, or how much it will cost. If I replace them now, I am going to go with Dura Ace. So advise me, RBR...should I hold out for SRAM or go for the DA now?
Use what you have until it breaks. You are liable to have another spill over the course of the next year's racing and don't want the heartbreak (and cost) of having to replace DA brifters. Even if you replace the existing hardware now, go cheap and save for the SRAM group (or DA). No doubt there will be other bits besides the brifters that you will need from SRAM, unless they make everything Shimano 10 compatible.
BTW, the SRAM group won't be available until '07.

·
Bike Dude
986 Posts
Try Performance bike

I saw on the Performance website that they were selling black (don't know about color choices) 105 10 speed STI for fairly cheap. I would suggest you look inside the shifter and see if anything is rubbing the shifter handle while you swing it back and forth. If it's only slightly bent you can carefully use a thin bladed screwdriver and pull the bent portion away from the main shifter body. Without a picture it's hard to tell what damage you have. I've bent the right shifter and was able to pry the shifter handle assembly away from the main body and use that same shifter for many more miles. You may want to purchase a set of STI from Performance or whomever is selling them cheap and stash them away. Barend shifters work well too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Carbonman said:
Use what you have until it breaks. You are liable to have another spill over the course of the next year's racing and don't want the heartbreak (and cost) of having to replace DA brifters. Even if you replace the existing hardware now, go cheap and save for the SRAM group (or DA). No doubt there will be other bits besides the brifters that you will need from SRAM, unless they make everything Shimano 10 compatible.
BTW, the SRAM group won't be available until '07.
what i have works well enough for now...not perfectly, but it works. also, i heard that the new SRAM stuff was supposed to be launched at the sea otter classic in april, and should be available by summer...it is model year '07, but supposed to be available in calendar year '06, so if you have a credible source that says it won't be available til '07, please let me know...my preferred option would be to hold out as long as i can in hopes of getting the new Force group from SRAM.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
I am not a brifter expert. However I have read on here (and you may already know this) that by spraying WD40 (or other spray lubricant with a small straw nozzle) in the innards you can sometimes get them to work better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts