Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advice here. Had an oblivious driver pull out of a side street right in front of me. I was doing about 20mph at the time, and got down to maybe 15 before making contact. Managed to stay upright and on the bike, only visible damage was the stem slipping on the fork, which was straightened by readjusting. The wheel appears to be true, but I have noticed a slight vibration (not from the pads rubbing, so bearings I assume) when the front wheel is spun in the air. Could the bearings in the hub been mangled, or the axle bent? The fork is also carbon (painted), and I don't see any visible cracks or damage, but should it be replaced anyway? Bike is a Specialized Allez Double, went in to the side of the guy front wheel first.

· Registered
1,098 Posts
Staying up after hitting a car at 15 is impressive. Hopefully you have his contact info or made a police report.

If you don't, you are on the hook for the damges. I would take the bike in to get checked out at the LBS. You don't want it to break later and cause another crash.

· Registered
1,942 Posts
sdeeer said:
Staying up after hitting a car at 15 is impressive. Hopefully you have his contact info or made a police report.

If you don't, you are on the hook for the damges. I would take the bike in to get checked out at the LBS. You don't want it to break later and cause another crash.
This.

I had exactly that happen a week ago. Bent my Colnago frame, destroyed the fork, broke the shifters. Got all her insurance info and filed a police report. I'm getting a check from her insurance co. Might even arrive today. It's enough to replace everything that the shop said needed replacing.

I was ok as well.

Take your bike to a good shop and have them evaluate it.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sdeeer said:

I may not have hit at 15, could have slowed down more. I saw him pulling out, and locked up the brakes, sliding in to him. How much I slowed down, not sure, I wasn't watching the computer ;-).

The guy was totally at fault, and admitted it many times, and also works with a guy in our club so it shouldn't be an issue if things need to be replaced.

· Registered
591 Posts
Just to show that these things happen in threes; this exact thing happened to me Monday.

Well, the car was turning into a side street, but same difference. Luckily no damage to me or the bike (I was going less than 10mph before I locked up the brakes and skidded into her front quarter panel)

MUPs are dangerous inventions, not again. I'll ride in the road one street over from now on TYVM.

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Yikes

glad you're okay.

I hate the oblivious business, and I also hate the "I need to make a right turn in front of you, but I see you. I am going to pull ahead of you where I need to turn right, then suddenly STOP with my turn signal on" business.

Then, as a bike, I don't know if you are actually going to stop for me, or if you're just going to go, so I stop in the bike lane, and we're all kinds of confused.

· Registered
12 Posts
You are lucky. In March I had a car turn left in front of me. As a result, I do not remember anything from about 4 days before to 10 days after. My bike was destroyed, my helmet was destroyed, my gear was destroyed and I broke my neck at the C7. One person told my wife that she thought I was going to be dead. Turns out after my ambulance ride I was airlifted to another hospital. All in all I am lucky and should make a full recovery. I have started looking at a new full carbon bike. Any suggestions??? I like Orbea and Wilier

Ride hard and keep your head on a swivel...that is my new philosophy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.