Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 07 2.4 wireless PowerTap hub, anytime I coast, the cassette starts going nuts. It violently jerks forward about 1/4 of a turn, then back to original position repeatedly. I replaced the freehub body (actually my LBS did under warranty) and it stopped doing it for about a mile then started back up. I can't understand what this could be other than the freehub body? I have tried on different bikes, different cassettes, etc. and it still happens. Any ideas????

I have a race (hill climb TT) this weekend, am not home and would really not like to miss this race due to a mechanical. :mad2:

·
passive/aggressive
236 Posts
sounds like the freehub body is grabbing. Perhaps a loose seal or O-ring in the freehub/body interface. You should be able to ride it though, the hard part will be not coasting at all, just keep your legs soft pedaling while coasting, should keep it from winding up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It is all up hill so I won't be coasting. But it would be wonderful to be able to ride sometime between now and the race (sunday) as well as for the remaining days that I am here. I also don't want to be wasting energy if something is rubbing. I believe I have a fair shot at a category course record. I just don't understand how it's doing it when we just replaced the freehub body. I did not do the work myself so I don't know. I have the tools to do this @ home and know how to do it, but it was replaced under warranty, hence why I didn't do it myself. I will probably go buy a skinny wrench and take it apart myself and see what I can find. Thanks for the reply.

·
passive/aggressive
236 Posts
as long as the freehub is engaging and if you remove the chain the wheel spins freely you will not have any extra friction except when coasting.

Pull the freehub and look for signs of it binding on bearing shields, o-rings, etc. Not sure what is in the powertap for stuff but any binding areas will be evident by wear on things. All other considerations aside slap some grease in there for the race then get your warranty on again.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
In a hill climb, I do not think that you will do much coasting.

I remember, quite a few years ago, I was in a crit where my freewheel locked up just at the start. I didn't know if I could get a free lap for something like that, so I had to pedal through every turn. By the end of the race, my legs were dead.

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
Long shot, but check for intermittent interference between the hub flange/spoke heads and the largest cog. If there's very little clearance to begin with and the hub body/cassette wobbles, you could have contact at one or more spoke heads.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is the fun part. It was the bearings. One of them blew up. Now the fun part. The new freehub that they just replaced under warranty that wasn't actually broken, broke. There is some tiny little piece of pressed metal that keeps the pawl spring from rotating, and it broke off? I don't quite understand the ridiculous design. So I am not sure what to do now. I am going to call Saris in the morning and beg for them to overnight a new freehub body.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.