Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Captain Obvious
11,956 Posts
Muaythaibike said:
Ofter times my wireless reads a crazy high speed reading. Like 76 MPH. Why does this happen? Can it mess up my average speed and total distance figures as well?
usually electical interference from power lines.

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
had the same issue

Muaythaibike said:
Ofter times my wireless reads a crazy high speed reading. Like 76 MPH. Why does this happen? Can it mess up my average speed and total distance figures as well?
I just got rid of a E3 wireless that would peg at 76mph from interference. I would lean it up against a building at a food stop and the miles would be just scrolling by. I assume this was from 60Hz AC electrical lines. This may be brand specific as I have not had any issues with a Sigma Sport wireless or a Cateye Strada wireless.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Muaythaibike said:
I've been told it's from electrical interference, ie power lines, cell phones, etc, but I find that a bit on the extreme, unless you're passing directly through or next to a power grid station. In my case it's the front headlight, which is a high-output LED "system," a Cygolight Rover II. The second it's on, the computer goes haywire. I'm currently fixed on getting a Specialized SpeedZone (Sport or Elite; wired version).

So, to get to the bottom of the problem, check your light system, batteries, and observe your routes.

·
Registered
93 Posts
******* said:
Could be several reasons:
1) batteries are weak
2) check wheel-setting
3) remove head unit and wipe contacts w/alcohol
4) gremlins
5) Traffic light sensors
6) Local alarm systems
7) Backup sensors in high-end cars
8) Security entry systems
9) LED lights mounted on your handlebars

I find 5 to be the most common for me; sit inside that square that denotes the sensor and I'll find I was doing 99.9 km/h for the entire light. move outside and nothing.

In winter the wireless is useless because of LED interference; I finally put a wired system on the winter bike and wrapped saran wrap around it to keep the terminals from corroding.

Of course I do have a cheap wireless...

·
Matnlely Dregaend
5,046 Posts
Interesting about the leds... I have 2 Dinotte 200 leds mounted on the bar right next to my Cateye Micro wireless on the mtb without problems. I do get interference on it passing a certain intersection, I figure it's the traffic light there.

The errors don't seem to affect distance or average speed significantly.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
The cure for that is to get a wired computer.
Yup, but not a fixall because the terminals corrode after a single winter and strange things happen -- coming home the other day my wired computer was convinced I was either not moving or doing > 300 kph.

I'm experimenting with a wired computer with saran wrap and tape wrapped around it to seal it.

I would love to see a non-removable computer for us PNW commuter types.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Last year a computer that I bought new in the 80s finally bit the dust. I'm in Ohio - not particularly known for its fair weather - and I commute year round in rain & temmps down to the teens. If it gets colder than that I drive the car. A good "expensive" under $20 computer ususlly lasts me years without problems. I have the same model Vettas on all my bikes now. They're about 3 years old. Zero problems.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
Last year a computer that I bought new in the 80s finally bit the dust. I'm in Ohio - not particularly known for its fair weather - and I commute year round in rain & temmps down to the teens.
I'm not sure how you compare to a Vancouver winter rain-wise, but I've never found a computer that lasted more than 2 years, and keeping bike lights going are a constant issue. Maybe I just have bad luck, though.

Okay curiosity lead me to some googling -- I'm not sure where you are in Ohio -- according to this the state gets an average of 37.77 inches per year; that's about half what I put up with commuting to North Vancouver with 69.68 inches per year.

Typically my electronics die on "Pineapple Express" days where we can get > 4 inches rain in a single day.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
38" per year is about right. I'm as far north as you can get in Ohio, right in the center of the state. The winters can be pretty cold. I don't know what the averages are - too lazy to look it up - but temps in the single digits F are not uncommon. Snow is a regular feature as well. I commute as long as the roads are clear and the temp is no lower than the upper teens F. The computers I have (Vettas) have no problem dealing with that. I wonder how non-wired comps. do in those conditions?

You said yours die in 4" of rain per day. I think I'd die in 4 " of rain in one day.:) I've only been to Vancouver once. Nice city, but I don't think I could stand that much rain. Ditto Seattle, Portland, etc.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
Snow is a regular feature as well. I commute as long as the roads are clear and the temp is no lower than the upper teens F. The computers I have (Vettas) have no problem dealing with that. I wonder how non-wired comps. do in those conditions?
Something I don't have to deal with much; typically temperatures here don't drop below the 40's, and even at that stage the wireless display becomes "slow" on my cheapie system; like a digital watch with an almost dead battery. The wired definitely handles it better.

You said yours die in 4" of rain per day. I think I'd die in 4 " of rain in one day.:) I've only been to Vancouver once. Nice city, but I don't think I could stand that much rain. Ditto Seattle, Portland, etc.
Thankfully, something we only deal with from Nov - Dec. Its been 3 days or rain in the last 40 for us so far this summer.

Perversely I enjoy riding through a Pineapple Express 4" day -- if you're going to ride in the rain, you might as well go for bragging rights :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.