Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I posted this thread a while ago: http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=169039

I've since recieved the batteries and charger and everything works great so far (links to all this stuff are a couple posts down in the thread above). I've also pretty much decided that it doesn't need any sort of lens/etc. since the hotspot on the wall is bigger than the entire red blob from the little blinky one. Anyway, I finally got around to taking some beam comparison pictures and what not. Not sure what order they're gonna be in but:
The very bright one is the DX flashlight (+/- $26 w/ charger and batteries) at maybe 5 ft

The almost no red light at all one is a rear blinky from Fred Meyer ($15-$20 IIRC) at maybe 5 ft (same as the other one)

The no light at all one is w/o any light (der).

Then the one outside is a shot from behind w/ the blinky on solid and the flashlight. In person the difference is much more noticeable but the camera did some weird stuff w/ exposure etc. (even though it was on full manual >.< ).

·
trying to HTFU...
1,875 Posts
nice. i'm a believer that if they hit you while you have
a light that's really bright, then they really have to want
to hit you - not that that's any help after one's been run
off the road or anything, but every lumen's gotta help.
i was lazy and bought a niterider trinewt and matching blinky.
gotta go read some more and build my own 2k headlight ;-)

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah... I figure if I get hit now, it's not because they didn't see me.

·
OUTLAW BIKER
463 Posts
Thanks for the update, very bright. Is that a Bell 5 led under your seat?
I have that light and thought it was bright... what a difference!!

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,027 Posts
MWPDX said:
Yeah... I figure if I get hit now, it's not because they didn't see me.
No, it's because you blinded them and they hit you with their eyes closed. This is definitely one of those, "don't go into the light!" situations.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
merckx_rider said:
Thanks for the update, very bright. Is that a Bell 5 led under your seat?
I have that light and thought it was bright... what a difference!!
I think so. It's has a Bell sticker on it and it's got five leds :p . Whatever it is, I also thought it was very bright at night (got a couple when I was at the coast to supplement the other blinky I had "just incase I got stuck riding in the dark"... good decision on my part). Anyway, this thing absolutely blows all those rear blinky lights outa the water, especially for $26. Now that I'm thinking about it though, I'm a little concerned about other cyclists riding behind me/passing me. =-/

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Squidward said:
No, it's because you blinded them and they hit you with their eyes closed. This is definitely one of those, "don't go into the light!" situations.
I'd expect people to stop/slow down/avoid the crazy bright thing that's blinding them... if they really couldn't see. But maybe that's giving people too much credit. "Oh how bout that... I can't see anything... maybe this isn't the best time to be hurdling through space at 900 mph... naaah." :rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts