Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a new Sram Force carbon compact crankset. I'm still using my Cateye Astrale computer.

Question: To hold the cadence magnet to the crankarm I'm using a ziptie...this tends to slip at times causing the cadence function to stop. If I was to add a drop of crazy glue to the back of the magnet to help hold it in place....would this harm the carbon crankarm.

Since I'm sure I'll be using the cranks for a very long time....removal is not a worry.

·
More carbon fiber please!
797 Posts
No it won't hurt a thing. Just make sure to have the arm and magnet clean. Actually I'd opt for some decent epoxy suce as Devcon or Z-Spar Splash Zone (a marine epoxy) to hold it in place. A small dab of either and I guarantee it'll NEVER come loose.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
something less permanent

chuck1073 said:
I just installed a new Sram Force carbon compact crankset. I'm still using my Cateye Astrale computer.

Question: To hold the cadence magnet to the crankarm I'm using a ziptie...this tends to slip at times causing the cadence function to stop. If I was to add a drop of crazy glue to the back of the magnet to help hold it in place....would this harm the carbon crankarm.

Since I'm sure I'll be using the cranks for a very long time....removal is not a worry.
I think Crazy Glue is overkill and you are going to have a problem if you want to remove the magnet at some point. What about maybe some silicone glue? Another option is to use a piece of inner tube under the magnet to add more grip. Tighten down that zip tie to compreess the tube

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
If your pedals have steel axles, try using a heavy duty magnet attached to the spindle. These are sometimes referred to as "rare earth" magnets and you can get a pack of 4-5 for about $5 at many hardware stores. Just move the cadence sensor back to the area where the magnet on the spindle will line up properly. They will not come out while riding. I have to pry them off the spindles when changing pedals. I use these on all my bikes.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I use plain old hot glue to hold my speedo sensor on my fork and would do the same if I had a crank sensor. Just a healthy dab and it's invisible and holds perfectly. To remove, just heat it gently with a hair dryer until it lets go and clean up the residue.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I'd suggest double sided tape (something more than paper thin). If you have a hobby shop near by that sells R/C cars and planes, etc, go there and ask for "servo tape". It's more than strong enough to hold a magnet on (if applied to a clean surface) but you can remove it later.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Another super easy solution is to cut a small p;piece of friction tape & zip tie the sensor on that, It won't budge at all.

·
weird huh?
304 Posts
sand and buff the crank arm, then apply a generous amount of JB Weld. Continue by wrapping it with Gorilla duct tape, douse liberally with super glue, then drive a nail through it to make sure. Be sure to use a large hammer.

I'm here to help

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.