Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading the post about the cyclist on the freeway gave me a thought.....
I wonder if someone who is good at organizing things (events and such) could organize a "bike to work day" to protest the out of control gas prices. (I understand it wouldn't be practical for those with a hefty comute.)
If atlest once a week people rode their bikes rather than dirving, maybe they'd get the message that we're tired of getting ripped off while they turn in proffits in the billons.

·
Registered
23 Posts
we have a bike to work day here every year. The local eatery even provides free food to those who bike to eat there that day.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Tucson also has a bike to work day. I don't know that an organization exists that could put together a national bike to work day. It'd be nice.

·
Unrepentant Mountainbiker
624 Posts
protest shmotest.....what are you really protesting. The oil companies are making record profits due to the fact that record numbers of people are driving gas guzzling Stupid Ugly Vehicles and Big Ass Trucks.

China is the fastest growing economy in the world, and as the population becomes more afluent, they buy and drive more cars. The demand for oil is growing world wide as the supply of oil is reaching a point where it will start diminishing. The only way prices are going is up. Deal with it.

So, if you really want to make a difference, ride to work as much as possible. Do it for the sake of riding, not as a "protest". Encourage others to join you.

Will it make a difference in the big picture of things? Probably not. But it will make a difference in your wallet, your health, and your community.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts