Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help trying to figure out how to stop my bars/stem from creaking. The bars are the carbon Ram bars and the stem is a Cinelli Neo kevlar stem wrapped in carbon. The faceplate is entirely carbon and is a 4 bolt faceplate.

I alternated torquing the faceplate bolts down such that I was using a crossing patter on the bolts. However, it still creaks a little when I am in the saddle and it is utterly ridiculous when I get out of the saddle.

All of my other bars are one piece bar/stem combos so I have never really had to deal with this situation. Only problem is that those 1 piece systems are about 100 grams heavier than this setup.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
12,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I knew there was some type of paste/grease that I could use, but I had no idea what it was exactly called. Found it at Universal Cycles and will be ordering it tonight. I also read the review at Competitive Cycles and it seems to be exactly what I need. I already own a couple torque wrenches, so I have that covered. Thanks again.

·
Registered
21,639 Posts
OR just grease

fabsroman said:
Thanks guys. I knew there was some type of paste/grease that I could use, but I had no idea what it was exactly called. Found it at Universal Cycles and will be ordering it tonight. I also read the review at Competitive Cycles and it seems to be exactly what I need. I already own a couple torque wrenches, so I have that covered. Thanks again.
FYI, just plain grease works fine as well. The carbon assembly paste is basically grease with some solids in it to give you extra traction so parts don't slide. If noise is the problem, then a thin coat of grease on all contact surfaces is the solution. This applies to the entire bike, not just the bar/stem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.