Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a one month old Van Dessel Rivet that I love but the frame has developed a creak. It's really irritating me. It happens when under load, i.e. I'm standing on the pedals, but I don't think it's the bb because it seems really tight. I've greased all of the threads I can think of and checked the all the bolts to make sure none are loose. Should I ignore it or does someone have another idea? Is this typical of carbon frames? It's my first.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
5,045 Posts
Grease the rear drop out. Check the pedal bearings and grease them if possible. Check the chainring bolts. Check the crank bolts. Check the spoke tension. Check the headset for looseness and grease as necessary.

·
monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
Do you have carbon spacers on your steerer tube? Those can creak especially when you are torquing on the handlebars when you are mashing it.
And check that everything is tight and adjusted properly.

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Creaks and clicks

LeeWald said:
I have a one month old Van Dessel Rivet that I love but the frame has developed a creak. It's really irritating me. It happens when under load, i.e. I'm standing on the pedals, but I don't think it's the bb because it seems really tight. I've greased all of the threads I can think of and checked the all the bolts to make sure none are loose. Should I ignore it or does someone have another idea? Is this typical of carbon frames? It's my first.
It is fairly common to have clicking noises, but ticks and clicks are very hard to eliminate sometimes. What seems like it is tied to the pedals may be coming from the seat post, etc. Sometimes things like temperature and humidity can affect noises as well. Also, things like the front derailleur cage just hitting the crank or the front derailleur cable sticking out and hitting your shoe can seem like they are clicks but really aren't.

Clicks tied to your pedaling can come from the BB (grease all threads in contact with the frame and BB, and torque it to the recommended settings, which can be quite high), crank bolts (grease threads and washers), the chain ring bolts (take them all out and grease the threads, the faces where they contact the CRs, and the CRs where they contact the crank spider arms), a stiff link in a chain or a burr on one of the "break off" special links used to assemble the chain, the pedals (grease the threads, get some wax etc. on the cleats, grease the bolts into your shoes, squirt some lube into the guts of the pedal machinery if possible), the chain (clean and lube), shoes/cleats (loose cleat nut rattling around in the shoe sole, shoe/cleat interface), cleat bolts, cleats touching pedals, seat post and saddle (grease the post, seat post bolts, saddle rails, and add some oil to where the rails go into the saddle body), bars and stem (grease the stem, stem bolts at both ends, h'bar bolt if quill stem, and h'bar where it goes through the stem, grease/tighten QRs, tighten cassette lock ring, steerer tube spacers if threadless), replaceable derailleur hangers (remove, clean, grease all parts and threads, reassemble), any other bolt (bottle cages, derailleur clamps, derailleur bolts, shift cable casing stops, etc.).

·
Banned
108 Posts
properly check the frame for cracks...PROPERLY, like go over it for an hour with a torch...if no cracks...complete strip and rebuild...if creaking persists...strip and rebuild with different parts from a bike the does not creak...

fun times...make sure you've got the 2500 dollars worth of tools you'll need handy

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks

Thanks to all of you for the advice. I'm gradually cleaning and regreasing all of the threads except the bb because it's a Campy Chorus UT and I don't have the proper tools. I'll take it to the bike shop for that if I need to after I get through all of the other threaded parts.

·
Registered
370 Posts
BB noise

I have had on going high torque induced BB creaks clicks from my Campy UT BB. After trying everything already mentioned I finally installed new cups and bearings using the “preferred” install method suggested by campy using “loctite” AND it eliminated 99.9% of the problem. It still gives a slight intermittent tick under full sprint big chain ring mash but was a huge improvement. As additional info my CF bike has a TI bb shell - I was previously using grease on the threads and torqing to spec. I’m not a fan of loctite but it appears to have helped.

Finally I would highly recommend you start with Kerry's check list and the suggestions already listed.

good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
My frame had a creak / click too. It turned out that the seat-tube was manufactured slightly (like 1/2 mm) oversize. The seatpost was pivoting at the clamp. As I pedaled, my weight rocked the top of the seatpost and the bottom of the seatpost slapped around the inside of the seat-tube making a clicking sound. My frame got warrantied but one or two wraps of thin tape at the bottom of the seat post would've solved the problem. Might also check the fit between the seat clamp and the seat rails also the creak might be coming from the interface between the seat rails and the seat.

Good Luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.