Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the most irritating creaking that I was absolutely CERTAIN was from my cranks / BB. I removed those, and reassembled, re-torquing to specs. RESULTS = NO CHANGE!

I was almost ready to take the noisy machine to the LBS (who would likely not be too gracious since I assembled the bike from internet parts myself), when I decided to search RoadBike Review forums for advice.

Of all the causes I read about, the one I doubted the most turned out to be the real one: LOOSE REAR QUICK-RELEASE SKEWER. Also the easiest to fix.

Oh, well, at least I got to use my crank puller!

DWELLS

· Registered
103 Posts
That is really funny. I have been working on getting all the noises out of my bike too. I actually just test rode for the first time without any noise! Of course I took apart a bunch of stuff also, but at least my bike got a good cleaning.

· Registered
5,844 Posts
Creaks can be notoriously hard to diagnose. My ti Merckx developed a very annoying creak, and I was convinced it was the bottom bracket since it had 16,000 miles of use. Replaced the BB, but the creak didn't go away. I finally tried swapping pedals from my other bike, and that was the cause. The bearings apparently were shot. That worked for several months, but now another creak has developed. Noticed this weekend that some rear spokes were loose, and hopefully that is the cause.

· Rollin' Stones
2,641 Posts
Question

Did you use lube on the QR? I am having a h&ll of a time with a front end noise and am going to try the QR deal before I slouch into my LBS with the "noise" issue. What is everone doing with the Qr to stop "creaking" noises?

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cydswipe said:
Did you use lube on the QR? I am having a h&ll of a time with a front end noise and am going to try the QR deal before I slouch into my LBS with the "noise" issue. What is everone doing with the Qr to stop "creaking" noises?
My QR was simply loose... I had replaced the Campy skewer with the one for my Cycleops trainer a couple of months ago, and didn't really tighten it properly, as it was only going to be for a day or two... right!

I'm just glad when I was nearing 38mph on a twisty descent a few weeks ago, I didn't make even MORE noise than creaking: like falling, scraping, sliding, screaming, smashing, etc.!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.