Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
270 Posts
mwilcko2 said:
FSA headset on my road bike creaks when I am standing and hammering on bike (usually climbs)... is this normal? Doesn't make noise any other time. There is no play in the headset.
I would say any creaking , cracking , poping etc. means your bike it telling you something needs service .. could be minor . my bike make zero sound when well torqued and lubed .

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
Sure it's the headset?

It shouldn't creak--but it might not be the headset. In my experience it's more likely to be the stem or the bars. Loosen the stem where it clamps to the steerer (I'm assuming it's threadless) and the bars, lube everything with grease and retorque, and see if that helps.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
took it out for another ride and i dont think its the headset now... it was coming from two places. The drop outs.. tightening the skewer more seemed to help. And as you guess, its the handlebars. The bars I have are carbon wrapped aluminum. The creaking is coming from where the bars and stem meet. Should you grease the carbon handlebar where it connects to the stem? Wont that make it a little slippery? Thanks in advance

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.