Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'll try to be as concise as possible, while giving all of the relevant details.

My Allez Sport Compact has a creaking noise. To me, it sounds like it is coming from the cranks/BB area. It is most prevalent when under high load, such as climbing in a hard-ish gear out of the saddle. Remove the load (transition back to spinning) and the noise stops. The noise seems to worsen as I get further into a ride, sounds like "crrreak, tink". The "tink" isn't particularly loud.

What I've tried:
- Swapped the shoe/cleat/pedal combo to my commuter. No noise in that application. 8km commute, similar climbing situations.
-LBS removed and re-installed the BB, checked torque on crank arms.
-I've taken almost all weight off the handlebars while climbing, and the noise is the same.

My theory/questions based on next to no mechanical experience with bicycles:
-Are there any places where viscosity of grease would be reduced by warming over the course of the ride?
-Is it possible for centrifugal force to pull grease out of any critical areas during a ride?

All comments/suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

·
Rub it............
3,929 Posts
Did you check the seat post and the seat itself?

Since you said that you've taken almost all the weight off the bars, that means your seated. And when your seated and pedaling hard (climbing) then your pushing back on the seat.

Pull the seat post and apply grease, do the same to the seat rails.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
frdfandc said:
Did you check the seat post and the seat itself?

Since you said that you've taken almost all the weight off the bars, that means your seated. And when your seated and pedaling hard (climbing) then your pushing back on the seat.

Pull the seat post and apply grease, do the same to the seat rails.
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I should have said that I've taken as much weight as possible off the bars while out of the saddle. Although I realize taking all my weight off the bars in that position is impossible, my point was that reducing load on the bars doesn't change the noise.

·
Registered
51 Posts
How many miles on the BB? I wore out the OEM Truvative Giga-X Pipe BB in 2K miles and the Taiwanese Nashbar cheapy replacement in 2.5K miles. I took the creaky Nashbar off and reinstalled it before an organized ride at Memorial Day. That shut it up for about 200 miles, but now the creaking is back and getting worse quickly. I am awaiting shipping on a new FSA Platinum Pro to give that a try. It is supposed to have double-row sealed bearings. The reviews of FSA here on RBR have not been too encouraging. We will see.. I am an old-school type of guy. I had the same Suntour sealed BB on my 1984 Cannondale from the time I built it until I gave it to my son-in-law a couple of years ago. It was still going strong. I don't know quite what to think of 2K mile BB's.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm... I'm at about 1800km (1100-ish miles). I was thinking defective/worn BB, but am hesitant to throw money at a problem I don't know a lot about. With that said, I suppose I could replace the BB, and if it doesn't fix the problem, the OEM could be a spare.

Anyone out there know if the Shimano FC-4500 was particularly problematic? There don't seem to be any full reviews on RBR, just two "quick ratings" at 1/5.

http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/drivetrain/bottom-brackets/shimano/PRD_369134_2479crx.aspx

·
Registered
12 Posts
How sure are you that the shop didn't just say they inspected the bb?

I had the same issue a while back and all I did was tighten up the bb. Same noise and description as you. Its probably not the seat or post, I feel like you would be able to feel the movement if it was making that noise.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a similar problem which occured in similar circumstance i.e. going up hills. I thought it was the BB too, but it turns out it was the rear hub. Try swapping out the rear wheel and see if it still does it. Bike shop said the rear hub had no grease/oil. They lubed it up and the noise is gone.

Good luck.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Went through the same thing last year

By no means am I suggesting your problem is the same as mine, but I went through the exact same thing last year. It turns out my fork was cracked. For comparison purposes I was riding an 05 Obrea Orca (all carbon). Fortunately it was warrantied and I got a new frame and fork out of the deal from Orbea. Not suggesting that is your problem but it was mine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think I had the same type of noise that you're describing (i.e. under load). Check the tension of the spokes on the rear wheel. My Mavic Open Pro wheel was making the noise even though it was perfectly true...

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you to everyone who has given input, but especially to the poster(s) who mentioned the rear QR. After swapping it out, the problem appears to be resolved.

Thank you again for helping preserve my sanity.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.